Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Director, Anesthesiology Residency Program UCSF, Health Sciences Clinical or Clinical X Faculty Series, University of California San Francisco
The Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care at the University of California, San Francisco is seeking candidates for the position of Director of the Anesthesiology Residency Program.
The UCSF Anesthesiology Residency Program has a long tradition of training leaders in anesthesiology and has a reputation as the top anesthesiology residency programs in the United States according to the online physician network Doximity.com. The program has a total of 75 resident and 10 intern positions. In addition, candidates with an interest in a career as physician-scientists or critical care medicine can be considered for selection to innovative residency tracks, the Research Scholars or Critical Care Scholars programs. These programs offer either a research or critical care fellowship as part of a four-year continuum after internship year. The program also offers a variety of additional training opportunities for residents interested in global health, clinical research, or medical education. Training takes place on all campuses of the UCSF Medical Center (UCSF Medical Center at Parnassus Heights, UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay, Mt. Zion Medical Center) as well as the Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and the San Francisco Veteran’s Affairs Hospital.
The anesthesiology residency program director oversees all anesthesiology residency training, and leads a team including an associate program director, chief residents and other educators in the execution of all activities related to residency training. We are seeking a collaborative leader who will build on the successes of the UCSF anesthesiology residency and ensure that the program continues to be at the forefront of education innovation. The program prides itself in a long track record of preparing residents for a diverse array of careers and subspecialty fellowship programs. The program aims to continue this commitment to individualized support for residents, as well as a commitment to diversity among its trainees.
UCSF seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
The successful candidate will have:
- a career as an academic anesthesiologist
- current faculty rank of assistant, associate or full professor
- current board certification in anesthesiology and any relevant subspecialty
- a strong track record of leadership in medical education, ideally demonstrated by achievements as program director, associate program director, or comparable leadership role in medical education
- a strong commitment to advancing a culture and climate of diversity and inclusion
- superb communication and collaboration skills, with demonstrated flexibility and adaptability
- an understanding of the legal, regulatory, and accreditation issues that pertain to graduate medical education
- Expertise in curricular design, implementation, and evaluation
- A track record of innovation in medical education
- A track record of producing and promoting scholarship
- A track record of local, regional, and national leadership in medical education; leadership in other academic areas will also be considered
Interested faculty are encouraged to apply by September 15, 2018 at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF02078 and provide the following documents:
• Curriculum Vitae
• Letter of intent, addressing the qualifications outlined in the position description, the applicant’s educational and leadership philosophies and a vision for the UCSF Anesthesiology Residency Program
• Educator’s Portfolio
• Statement of Contributions to Diversity
Job Description and Accountabilities
The Director of the Anesthesiology Residency Program will be responsible for overseeing all tracks of the anesthesiology residency program within the UCSF Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care. The Director will be responsible for establishing and nurturing a culture of continuous improvement and collegiality, for promoting scholarship and innovation, for responding to new demands and opportunities borne of a rapidly changing healthcare landscape, and for representing and advocating for the UCSF residency in local, national, and internal arenas. The Director will lead the admission and accreditation processes, as well as all relevant residency director roles within the GME structure at UCSF. The faculty appointment will be in either the University of California Health Sciences (HS) Clinical or Clinical X series.
The Director will be accountable for the following:
• Managing the selection process to ensure that UCSF recruits an outstanding and diverse residency class, with diversity defined broadly, including race, and ethnicity, but also specialty, research, and other academic interests
• Building superb educational programs, ensuring that residents have exceptional experiences in all rotations and that faculty are held accountable for creating such experiences
• Recruiting and leading associate program directors and rotation site directors, providing guidance and mentorship as well as ensuring accountability
• Recruiting and leading the selection process for chief residents and providing guidance and mentorship to them through their terms
• Leading the assessment process for residents, one that includes the use of milestone competencies, is in compliance with ACGME policies, and ensures that residents receive useful feedback on such assessments
• Leading the mentoring and personal/career counseling program for residents, including effectively advocating for residents in applying for jobs and fellowships
• Creating a strategy for continuous improvement and evolution of the residency program in response to opportunities and challenges, including those in the healthcare delivery system and those created by our growing clinical and research knowledge base
• Representing the residency program locally, regionally and (inter)nationally
• Providing strong financial stewardship, including effectively managing the residency budget, responsibly advocating for resources, and fostering philanthropy
• Establishing a positive working relationship with residency and other relevant staff and, together, creating an organization known for its excellence in operations
• Establishing a culture of innovation and scholarship by promoting scholarship among residents and program leaders
• Reporting to the Vice Chair for Education, as well as the Chair of the Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter - Letter of intent, addressing the qualifications outlined in the position description, the applicant’s educational and leadership philosophies and a vision for the UCSF Anesthesiology Residency Program
Statement of Contributions to Diversity
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents