Junior Specialist- McDonald Lab
The Department of Anatomy is seeking a bright, highly motivated junior specialist with an interest in research on inflammation and cancer with an emphasis on angiogenesis and vascular biology. The postgraduate researcher will be responsible for writing experimental protocols, administering drugs to mice, performing surgery, removing and processing tissues, making morphometric measurements, analyzing results, ordering and caring for mice, and performing standard laboratory procedures. After a training period, the junior specialist will perform experiments that use mouse models of cancer or chronic inflammation, and will process and analyze tissues by a variety of methods using light, fluorescence, and confocal microscopy and other methods. Additional duties will be assigned as required for the project and normal laboratory operations
- Specialists appointed at the junior rank must have a bachelor degree in cell biology, molecular cell biology, or equivalent field by the time of hire.
- College-level science and math courses completed by the time of hire.
- Prior laboratory research experience
- Plan to apply to medical school and/or graduate school, with a career objective of obtaining MD, PhD, or both degrees, after working in a lab at UCSF
- Ability to work in excess of 8 hours per day and occasionally on weekends
- Self-motivated, has ability to prioritize, and can manage technical challenges
- Excellent interpersonal skills and enjoys learning
- Comfortable with learning how to perform experiments using mice
- Familiarity with and ability to use PC and Mac computers
- Oral and written proficiency in English
- Research experience in the biological sciences
- Research experience related to angiogenesis and vascular biology in inflammation and cancer, including working with mice and writing experimental protocols
- Experience with using Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, lmageJ, Prism and EndNote
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01892
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Class list or grades/transcript
List of experience relevant to job description
- 3 required (contact information only)