Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Assistant/Associate Specialist (Programmer/Analyst)
Shoichet and Irwin Laboratory
University of California, San Francisco
The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry seeks candidates for a Programmer/ Analyst position in the Shoichet and Irwin laboratories. This position will be hired at the Assistant or Associate Specialist level dependent upon the applicant’s experience. Our research seeks to bring chemical reagents to biology, combining computation and experiment. In a protein-centric approach, molecular docking, the lab discovers new ligands that complement protein structures. Using a ligand-centric approach, the lab also discovers new targets for known drugs and reagents. A focus for both is the discovery of reagents to modulate G-Protein Coupled Receptors (GPCRs).
The applicant is expected to be able to work independently and possess the ability to troubleshoot experiments when they don’t work. In addition, the applicant must possess the ability to analyze their data and clearly communicate their research techniques and results in written and oral formats suitable for publication. Specific activities associated with the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Proficiency in python, java and C# (or equivalent)
• Web design
• Database and API design
• Must hold a Master’s degree (or equivalent degree) in Computer Science with at least three years of relevant lab experience OR applicants that do not hold a Master’s degree ( or equivalent degree) must have a minimum of five years’ experience in the relevant specialization.
• Experience with Android Development (minimum 2 years’ experience), Java (minimum 4 years’ experience) and C# (minimum 3 years’ experience)
• Experience with developing large and complex web-based and cloud-based software projects.
• Experience with Web Services APIs (JSON / XML / RPC).
• Experience with Relational Databases, SQL (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and related technologies (SQLAlchemy, JPA, Hibernate).
• Working experience with Git, Github.
• Experience with Unix/Linux environments.
• Working experience Agile and Scrum Software Development methodologies.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Excellent written and verbal presentation skills
Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience and training.
UCSF seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment of diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and a curriculum vitae. Please apply online and submit these documents along with the contact information for two references to: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01817.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information