Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Biophysicist and Protein Chemist
Assistant, Associate, or Full Specialist Series
Arkin lab, Small Molecule Discovery Center (SMDC)
University of California, San Francisco
The Arkin Laboratory in the Small Molecule Discovery Center (SMDC) has an open position for a protein biophysicist/biochemist. The Arkin Lab’s research is focused on using drug-like molecules and protein chemistry to solve challenging problems in chemical biology and drug discovery. The SMDC aims to provide lead-discovery tools and expertise to the UC community, identify new drug leads for diverse disease areas, and to develop new drug discovery and delivery technologies. The successful candidate will work with the NCI’s Chemical Biology Consortium (CBC) to discover and characterize drug leads for new therapeutic targets in oncology, and will provide biophysical expertise to collaborative projects outside the CBC. Primary methods include mass spectrometry and surface plasmon resonance, but we are looking for candidates who are also interested in developing and testing new quantitative technologies and applying innovative approaches to exciting new targets.
- Specialists appointed at the Assistant or Associate rank must possess a minimum of a master’s degree (or equivalent) in life sciences field or at least five years of experience in the relevant specialization.
- Specialists appointed at the Full rank must possess a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) in life sciences or related field or ten or more years of experience in the relevant specialization.
- Experience in structural biology, mass spectrometry, biophysical methods and/or protein chemistry
- Interest and experience working in a team research environment
- Strong written and communication skills
- PhD (or equivalent) in life sciences or related field
- Experience in small-molecule discovery or chemical biology
- Expertise developing mass spectrometry methods
- Experience maintaining and repairing mass spectrometers, protein purification instruments, e.g., HPLC and FPLC
Salary will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience and training.
UCSF seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment of diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Applicants should submit a brief cover letter and a curriculum vitae. Please apply online and submit these documents along with the contact information for at least two references to: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01765.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 references required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information