Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Full-time Lab Researcher - Cancer Biology
About this Job-
The W. A. Weiss Lab at the UCSF Mission Bay campus seeks a recent college grad to join our group as a full-time researcher. We are recruiting for the Junior Specialist rank. Salary will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training. You will be part of a small team focused on stem cell-based models for Neuroblastoma and low grade Glioma. You will gain experience with a range of in vitro and in vivo techniques including iPSC culture and differentiation, CRISPR-based genome editing and mouse surgery. As you become proficient in these skills, you will take on an independent project with mentorship from the postdoc on your team. You will participate in group meetings and journal clubs, and have opportunities to present your work. Critical thinking, scientific curiosity, and intellectual engagement with the subject matter are expected. The ideal candidate has had some independent lab research experience (i.e. undergrad thesis project) and plans to apply to graduate school or medical school. A minimum 1-year commitment is strongly preferred.
- BS/BA in molecular & cell biology, neurobiology, chemical biology, bioengineering, or equivalent
- Minimum GPA: 3.5 cumulative and 3.5 in-major (4.0 scale)
- 6+ months experience in a biology research lab (outside of lab courses)
- Experience graphing biology data in Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism, R, or Matlab
- Comfortable with lab-related math (i.e. serial dilutions, unit conversions)
- Team-player, but able to work independently, and willing to ask for help when needed
- Organized and detail-oriented, with good record-keeping skills
- US citizen / permanent resident or eligible to work in the United States
- Coursework in cancer biology or immunology
- Experience with mouse handling, mammalian cell culture, PCR, and/or molecular cloning
- Preferred start date March 2018
- Perform experiments under the direction of a postdoc.
- Maintain a detailed and accurate lab notebook.
- Analyze data and construct reports to share with your team.
- Perform survival surgeries and dissections on mice.
- Help lab staff with managerial duties (i.e. ordering/inventory; 10-20% of your time).
Licensure/Certification/Registration: None required.
Physical Requirements: Good visual acuity, accurate color discrimination, excellent manual dexterity and the ability to lift 10 lbs overhead.
Please submit CV, cover letter, unofficial transcripts, and contact information for two references.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01753.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
About University of California, San Francisco
University of California San Francisco is a large academic health care institution that is engaged in patient care, health professions education, and research. At UC San Francisco, we are driven by the idea that when the best research, the best teaching and the best patient care converge, we can deliver breakthroughs that help heal the world. From heart disease and immunology to specialty services for women and children, UCSF brings together the world’s leading experts in nearly every specialty. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, HIV/AIDS, aging and stem cell research. The UCSF Medical Center, UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospitals, all four of our professional schools — dentistry, medicine, nursing and pharmacy — and many UCSF graduate programs consistently rank among the best in the country, according to the latest surveys by U.S. News & World Report. Our top rankings reflect our singular focus on advancing health care. We are the leading institution dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional - Undergraduate transcipts (unofficial)
- 2 references required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information