Junior Research Specialist in Lim Lab
Under general supervision, will assist scientists and other technicians in the performance of laboratory and investigative procedures by performing a variety of experimental techniques such as PCR, plasmid prep and purification, molecular cloning, cell culture (cell lines and primary cells), flow cytometry, and ELISA-like assays. The successful candidate should be able to learn new cell biological assays and execute them as necessary semi-independently. Data will need to be collected, verified, recorded, and compiled in support of research.
Representative Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist scientists by performing various investigative procedures and operating a variety of instruments and other scientific equipment. Examples of equipment routinely used are: a. Plate readers for absorbance or luminescence based assays b. PCR machines for gene amplification and cloning c. Flow cytometers and Cell Sorters for single cell analysis and isolation
- Collect, record, organize and verify the accuracy of data; perform calculations and prepare charts, graphs and reports. May use software applications to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and test reports.
- Configure and operate laboratory apparatus and instruments; read and record instrument data; tabulate data; keep laboratory records.
- May order chemicals, reagents, and other laboratory supplies.
- Participate in laboratory meetings and planning sessions.
- May maintain bacterial and tissue cultures for experimental purposes.
- Read literature applicable to research areas as requires.
- Perform the duties of a Laboratory Assistant as required.
Organizational Scope and Impact of Position
Contributes to research results on an on-going basis. Usually conducts routine aspects of research projects. Influences short range and limited scope activities. Errors, though potentially significant, are usually limited in scope due to close supervision of individual.
Interactions with Others
Organizes projects within workload to insure goals are met. Meets routinely with supervisor. Able to train others in specialized tasks within their own area of expertise.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor of Science degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or at least four years of related laboratory experience. Knowledge of Immunology is preferable but not required. The successful candidate must have at least 1 year of laboratory experience that involved relevant techniques outlined above.
Knowledge/Understanding/Skills & Abilities:
• Generally experienced in job duties and in the principles and practices associated with those duties with an understanding of the underlying scientific principles.
• Ability to draft routine reports and keep accurate records of work performed.
• Actively seeks opportunities to increase skills and expertise
• Able to learn complex tasks with general instruction. Able to use experience to perform a variety of new techniques.
• Ability to occasionally lifts and/or carries objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
• Ability to occasionally stoops and bends
• Ability to occasionally reach and grasps with arms and hands
• Work involves possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances. Should be comfortable working in this environment.
• Ability to stand or sit long periods of time.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01662.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)