Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Full-time Lab Researcher - Cancer Biology
About this Job
Alan Ashworth’s Lab at the UCSF Mission Bay campus seeks a recent college graduate to join our group as a full-time researcher. Research in the Ashworth Lab focuses on identifying genetic vulnerabilities in cancer that can be exploited therapeutically in a variety of tumor types including breast, ovarian, pancreas, prostate and gastric cancer. Ideally, we are recruiting for a Junior Specialist, but the selected candidate will be appointed at a rank commensurate with experience and qualifications. You will join a team of researchers using cutting edge CRISPR technologies to identify novel therapeutic targets across a variety of cancers. You will gain experience with a range of techniques including tissue culture of established mammalian cell lines and primary human T-cells, CRISPR-based genome editing, high-throughput screening, evaluation of DNA-damage repair, flow cytometry, and in vitro drug treatments. As you become proficient in these skills, you will have opportunities to take on independent projects under the mentorship of postdocs on your team. You will participate in group meetings and journal clubs, and have opportunities to present your work and will have the opportunity to be a co-author on publications. Critical thinking, scientific curiosity, and intellectual engagement with the subject matter are expected. The ideal candidate has had some independent lab research experience (i.e. undergrad thesis project) and plans to apply to graduate school or medical school. A minimum 2-year commitment is strongly preferred.
• Specialists appointed at the Junior rank must have a BS/BA in molecular & cell biology, neurobiology, chemical biology, bioengineering, or equivalent at the time of hire
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must have a masters degree in a biological science or have 5 years of relevant work experience at the time of hire
• 6+ months experience in a biology research lab (outside of lab courses)
• Demonstrated ability to work with mammalian cells in culture
• Experience graphing biology data in Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism, R, or Matlab
• Comfortable with lab-related math (i.e. serial dilutions, unit conversions)
• Team-player, but able to work independently, and willing to ask for help when needed
• Organized and detail-oriented, with good record-keeping skills
• US citizen / permanent resident or eligible to work in the United States
• Intention to stay in the position for 2+ years
• Experience with PCR, virus production, flow cytometry, and/or molecular cloning
• Coursework in cancer biology or immunology
• Work with members of the Ashworth Lab on a variety of high-throughput CRISPR and drug-based screens aimed to discover novel cancer treatments and biomarkers
• Maintain a detailed and accurate lab notebook
• Analyze data and construct reports to share with your team
• Contribute to the writing of manuscripts resulting from your team’s work
• Help lab staff with managerial duties (i.e. ordering/inventory)
Job Type: Full-time
Licensure/Certification/Registration: None required.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
To apply, please submit resume / CV, cover letter, undergraduate unofficial transcripts, and contact information for 2 references online via AP Recruit at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01577.
Applications received on or before September 15, 2017 will receive full consideration.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional - Provide a copy of undergraduate unofficial transcripts (Optional)
- 2 references required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information