Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Goga Lab – Junior Specialist
Job Description: The Goga Lab at the Parnassus campus of UCSF is looking to appoint a Junior Specialist to conduct research related to molecular pathogenesis of breast cancer. We have identified MYC as a major driver gene in the most aggressive, so-called receptor triple negative, form of this disease. In addition, we are interested in utilizing our understanding of the molecular pathways involved in breast cancer to optimize treatment regimens for this disease. We are focused on understanding the metabolic changes associated with MYC overexpression in breast tissue, extracellular RNA secretion, and gene expression profiling of metastatic tumor cells. We are also exploring combining MYC targeted therapies with immunotherapy for treatment of breast cancer.
We are most interested in talented, motivated, enthusiastic candidates who have strong communication (written and verbal) skills and want to ultimately perform independent research. Candidates should be detail-oriented and possess excellent organization and analytical skills. The successful applicant must be willing and eager to work closely with other faculty and their lab members. A minimum 6-month commitment is required.
• Mouse colony maintenance and genotyping, including: breeding, weaning, culling, and genotyping by tissue biopsy or bleeding and assay by PCR or flow cytometry.
• Surgery for implantation of tumor chunks into mice.
• Handling of mice for measuring tumor size or providing treatment either by oral gavage or injections.
• Processing mouse tissues for immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescent staining, and analysis by flow cytometry.
• Maintaining cultures of primary tumor cells and cell lines.
• Performing immunologic assays, including T cell enrichment and in vitro activation.
• Performing basic molecular biology techniques, including DNA, RNA, and protein extraction, quantification, and analysis by gel electrophoresis or PCR.
• Performing basic molecular cloning.
• Organized record keeping and tracking of various cohorts of experimental groups.
• Help with shared lab duties, such as equipment maintenance, and keeping the lab clean and functional.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Molecular and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biology, or related field.
Experience: Minimum 6 months of laboratory employment.
Preferred Qualifications: Experience with molecular biology, DNA isolation, cloning, PCR, animal care and handling, and flow cytometry are highly desirable. Previous course work in immunology is highly desirable. Familiarity with Excel, Prism, and FlowJo are highly desirable.
Additional Qualifications for the position are:
• excellent organizational and communication skills
• strong analytical abilities, problem-solving abilities, and detail oriented
• ability to maintain comprehensive laboratory notebook of experiments done on a daily basis
• ability to work independently and assess need for assistance from supervisor
Licensure/Certification/Registration: None required.
Physical Requirements: Normal physical requirements include good visual acuity and accurate color discrimination. The position requires excellent manual dexterity and familiarity utilizing delicate instrumentation.
UCSF is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We seek candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please submit CV, cover letter, and provide contact information for two references at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01458.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 references required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information