Director of Externship Program and Clinical Externship Course
Job #JPF01296 SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY - Preventive & Restorative Dental Sciences
UCSF School of Dentistry, Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences, Division of Behavioral Science and Community Dental Education: Assistant/Associate/Full Professor, Health Science Clinical or Clinical X Series. The Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences (PRDS) in the School of Dentistry at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), invites applications for Director of its Externship Program and Clinical Externship course (PCC 148). Responsibilities include the implementation and oversight of:
• Ongoing learning experiences in providing interprofessional care, utilizing well-trained allied dental personnel (including mid-level providers) in a cost effective and humanistic environment that emphasizes evidence based practice, quality improvement approaches and outcomes assessments.
• Student learning in an environment that promotes cultural competence to ensure the in-depth exchange of ideas and beliefs across gender, racial, ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic lines
• A learning experience for students that develops and measures a student’s competence in managing a diverse patient population, as well as the interpersonal and communication skills to function successfully in a multicultural work environment
• A comprehensive care experience that ensures overall competency in all components of general dentistry practice
• A syllabus that provides written information in the UCSF CLE site stating the goals and requirements of the course, the evaluations methods used and how grades and competency are measured
• An expansion of the current Externship Site Program to include health centers where interprofessional practice occurs. This should engage the other UCSF schools on campus, in order to provide an interprofessional learning experience in a clinical setting
• An increase in the total numbers of externship sites to allow for increased attendance of students
• Initiate and monitor teaching affiliation agreements with Externship Program Partners
• Significant grant applications to ensure the sustainability of interprofessional clinical experience for students when rotating in the externship program
The incumbent will have a successful background in the following areas:
• Clinical experience in an interprofessional practice.
• Teaching predoctoral dental students in a clinical environment.
• Successful grant writing in the field of oral health disparities.
• Proven accomplishments in healthcare improvement in implementing the triple/quadruple aim.
• Developing and managing mid-level provider programs.
• Design, implementation and evaluation of community-based service learning programs;
• Excellence in written and oral communication.
• Proven skills and ability to work with diverse groups.
Candidates must have a D.D.S., D.M.D. or B.D.S. degree, and an active California dental license or be eligible for licensure in California.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
The position will remain open until filled. Interested applicants must use our online system to submit curriculum vitae, a statement/letter of interest, including a description of the applicant's qualifications for the position, applicant’s teaching and mentoring philosophy, and responsibilities and interests. Include the names and complete contact information for three references. Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01296.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter - a statement/letter of interest, including a description of the applicant's qualifications for the position, applicant’s teaching and mentoring philosophy, and responsibilities and interests.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 references required (contact information only)