Research Specialist in Kukreja Laboratory
The Division of Adult CT Surgery in the Department of Surgery is responsible for training the next generation of clinical leaders in Adult CT surgery, for providing outstanding quality clinical care that is cost effective, yet compassionate and for making significant advances in scientific knowledge and clinical practice through both basic and clinical research.
The Research Specialist supports the UCSF campus and medical center mission as it relates to making significant advances in scientific knowledge and translational research.
Dr. Kukreja, the Director of Lung Transplant in the Department of Surgery, seeks candidates for a Specialist position in her laboratory. Dr. Kukreja’s research focus is in lung transplantation. Her laboratory is focused on characterizing biomarker profile of inflammation in lung transplantation as well as ex vivo lung perfusion model. Under general direction, the Specialist will help collect, run and analyze samples from subjects undergoing lung transplants well as running laboratory experiments involving the ex-vivo human lung model. Additional responsibilities will include preparing grant proposals for funding.
This is a research position. Applicants are expected to be able to work independently and possess the ability to troubleshoot experiments when they do not work. In addition, the applicant must possess the ability to analyze data and clearly communicate their research techniques and results in written and oral formats suitable for publication. Specific activities associated with the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Human blood cell plasma separation for cytokine analysis and isolating WBC using Ficoll-Paque for future culturing and RNA extraction. Technical skill set: robust pipetting skills and experience with good sterile techniques
• Analyze specimens using ELISA and/ or multiplex assays. Skills: Ability to identify and apply appropriate assays for cytokine measurement.
• Work with human blood, lung tissue and organs. Basic surgical skills are required. Dr. Kukreja will teach advanced surgical technique for preparation of human lungs and running the device.
• Knowledge and adherence to safety precautions required in work with human blood and items contaminated with blood or other potentially infectious materials (OPIM).
• Laboratory inventory. Skills: identify, purchase and maintain necessary equipment to process specimens and run assays.
• Preparation and submission of required Biological Use Authorization (BUA) applications for new projects, and/or necessary Institutional Review Board (IRB) applications. Skills: familiarity with established IRB and BUA policies and guidelines.
• Grant writing: ability to write grant proposals for future funding.
• Specialist appointed at the Assistant/Associate level at minimum must have a MS degree or equivalent degree in immunology, physiology or biology (or related field)
• Specialist appointed at the Full level at minimum must have a doctoral degree or equivalent degree in immunology, physiology or biology (or related field)
• Ability to follow written procedures accurately
• Experience with statistical programs such as Stata, SAS, or SPSS
• Experience with ELISA and/or multiplex assays
• Excellent organizational skills
• Experience with Excel, Prism or KaleidaGraph, WORD, Powerpoint, Adobe Illustrator
• Excellent communication, presentation, and analytical skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrate excellent attention to detail, ability to organize, prioritize and take direction
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, team-based, dynamic environment
• Prior experience with pulmonary research
• One or more years of prior experience in an immunology physiology or biology lab
• Prior experience with purchasing, processing orders and maintaining laboratory equipment
• Experience with isolation of cells from human blood samples
• Prior Experience with human lung research
• Experience with writing grants for research funding and manuscripts for publication
• Experience preparing BUA/ IRB applications
Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience and training. Applicants should submit a cover letter and a curriculum vitae. Please apply online and submit these documents along with the contact information for three references to: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01106
UCSF seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment of diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 references required (contact information only)