Open date: April 21, 2023
Most recent review date: Tuesday, Sep 5, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Monday, Oct 21, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care at the University of California, San Francisco seeks an accomplished anesthesiologist to serve as the Chief of Obstetric Anesthesia. This full-time faculty position is available at the rank of Associate to full Professor. Candidates should have exceptional clinical, academic, and administrative skills and have national stature in Obstetric Anesthesia.
This role also serves as a Medical Director for UCSF Health. The Medical Director provides clinical administration and supervises members of the Medical Staff in this UCSF Medical Center unit. The Medical Director – Obstetrics-Anesthesia, in collaboration with the related medical, nursing, and operational leaders, is responsible for ensuring that services provided are in accord with the institution’s mission, vision, values, and goals.
This key position requires a dynamic, passionate, and experienced physician leader, with a record of success across the spectrum: collaboration with other clinicians, scholarship, educational excellence, faculty development and recruitment, and community engagement. The Chief is responsible for oversight of faculty; educational programs; clinical practice; supervising, teaching, and evaluating residents in patient care; and supporting research within the division.
We seek a leader with a clear vision for advancing the specialty, and proven commitment to research, education, and clinical practice. The successful candidate must be able to lead a diverse group using a collaborative approach, and show demonstrated achievement in promoting or producing scholarship and funding and mentoring young academic clinicians.
Chief of Obstetric Anesthesia Responsibilities include:
- Lead and direct Anesthesia OB services, research, and education.
- Lead obstetric anesthesia clinical operations to ensure efficient utilization of clinical provider resources while delivering high quality patient care, monitoring, and improving patient and provider satisfaction, and promoting effective collaboration among our clinical partners.
- Collaborate with the Vice Chair for Education to facilitate undergraduate and graduate medical education within the division.
- Collaborate with the Vice Chair for Faculty Affairs promote the careers of division faculty.
- Collaborate with the Vice Chair for Research to promote obstetric anesthesiology research.
- Provide teaching, supervision, and support of education innovations in OB clinical and research educational program learners.
- Develop and maintain a direct reporting relationship to the Chair of the Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care and to the Chief Medical Officer for Women’s Health.
- Together with the Chair and the Chief Medical Officer for Women’s Health, identify goals and develop, monitor, and share metrics to track progress on goals.
- Commitment to attending critical monthly meetings and attending and contributing to the monthly Service Chiefs meeting.
Medical Director – Obstetrics-Anesthesia responsibilities include providing medical oversight in the following areas:
- Staffing and oversight of OB-Anesthesia faculty and trainees on the labor and delivery unit.
- In collaboration with OB medical directors and nursing leadership, provide leadership for and fully participate in lean management system, including commitment to regular unit huddles and leader rounds.
- Engage OB anesthesia physicians in the operations of the unit. Ensure bidirectional communication with leadership and frontline clinicians (e.g., regarding organizational priorities).
- Communicate and meet regularly with OB medical directors and OR leadership to ensure close collaboration across services.
- Collaborate with access center to ensure safe maternal transports to the unit.
- As pertains to OB Anesthesia, establish, implement, and maintain protocols, policies, and best practices for patient care on the unit.
- Develop and assure achievement of key quality, safety, and efficiency metrics. Provide timely review of incident reports, with implementation of improvements as needed. Report metrics to appropriate departmental and medical staff committees.
- Develop and lead improvement programs to assure optimum quality, safety, experience, and efficiency on the unit. Broad areas for improvement work include:
- Medication safety (particularly epidurals/pain medication)
- Maternal and fetal outcomes in high-risk pregnancies/deliveries
- Transfusion practices and minimization of blood loss in complex deliveries (e.g., placenta acreta)
- Enhanced recovery after cesarean (ERAC) delivery pathway
- In conjunction with other medical directors and nurse leaders, assure compliance with all regulatory requirements (e.g., universal protocol).
- Review patient, staff and provider experience data and implement improvements as necessary.
This outstanding opportunity is a chance to be a part of one of the most preeminent departments in the world. We are enormously proud of our tradition of excellent patient care, research, and education. UCSF has a storied history of innovation in anesthesia, critical care, and pain medicine.
Anesthesia faculty members participate as a part of a team that includes over 250 faculty members, 25 staff physicians, 68 CRNAs, 18 fellows, 84 residents, 21 academic researchers, and 178 staff members. The Department has essential roles in patient care outside of the operating rooms, with active participation in Ambulatory Care, Acute and Chronic Pain, and the Preoperative Clinic. UCSF Health encompasses five main campuses: the UCSF Helen Diller Medical Center at Parnassus Heights, the Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital (a Level 1 Trauma Center), Mount Zion Medical Center, Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland, and Benioff Children’s, Betty Irene Moore Women’s, and Bakar Cancer Hospitals at Mission Bay.
Our department philosophy is aligned with UCSF campus leadership in the areas of recruiting, retaining, and celebrating individuals traditionally under-represented in the health sciences, LGBTQ+, and individuals with disabilities, to better reflect the diversity of the population we serve in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We recognize that successfully recruiting people to join our team is not the end of the story. It is also critical that we provide an environment in which all individuals in our workforce and trainee programs experience a professional, supportive, collaborative, and open environment and have the opportunity to thrive. We are dedicated to the ongoing pursuit of these goals.
Come join us in reshaping the future of anesthesia and perioperative care!
Successful applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Must hold an MD, DO, or equivalent degree and be board certified in Anesthesia.
- Must possess a valid California Medical License by time of hire.
- Must be fellowship-trained in obstetric anesthesia or have equivalent advanced training and/or experience beyond that of anesthesia residency training.
- A respected clinical physician with outstanding professional credibility and personal integrity.
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership, administration, organization and program development of clinical services, research, and education in a complex academic environment.
- Demonstrated ability for teamwork and collaborative problem-solving using an analytical and systematic approach.
- Ability to provide leadership to physicians and other health care professionals.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated cultural competence in working with culturally diverse trainee and patient populations.
- Be recognized for their contributions to Obstetric Anesthesiology.
- Training in or commitment to completing training in lean management.
- Applicants’ materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission.
As a Medical Director for UCSF Health, the Chief of Obstetric Anesthesia is eligible to receive up to an additional 10% of the Medical Director compensation as an incentive payment for meeting mutually agreed-upon operational and/or quality goals. Such goals shall be set in collaboration with related medical directors and operational leaders to ensure that the Medical Director’s goals support and are aligned with the program work for the coming year.
Please apply online at: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04474.
The posted UC salary scales set the minimum pay determined by rank and step at appointment. See Table 5: https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/2022-23/oct-2022-salary-scales/t5-summary.pdf. The minimum base salary range for this position is $184,500 - $393,300. This position includes membership in the health sciences compensation plan (https://ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/apm/apm-670.pdf) which provides for eligibility for additional compensation. The total negotiated salary for this position will include the base salary plus the negotiated component, determined at the time of offer.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: Contributions to Diversity Statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)
As a University employee, you will be required to comply with all applicable University policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, as may be amended from time to time. Federal, state, or local government directives may impose additional requirements.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.