Director of the Center for Advanced Light Microscopy (CALM) - Adjunct Series
Open date: April 3, 2023
Most recent review date: Thursday, Jun 1, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Thursday, Oct 3, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Director of the Center for Advanced Light Microscopy (CALM) will lead a team that provides access to state-of-art microscopes for use by the UCSF community and serves over 400 scientists a year. The candidate is expected to have a strong background in microscopy and image analysis. Strong technical knowledge, interpersonal skills, and a commitment to customer service is extremely important.
- Administration of the imaging center including managing recharge proposals, billing, website maintenance, and grant writing
- Plan and execute acquisition of new equipment and upgrades to current microscopes
- Perform routine maintenance and repairs on core microscopes
- Assist researchers with image acquisition, image analysis, and experimental design
- Teaching microscopy theory and methods in workshops and graduate level courses
- A PhD degree in biology, physics, optics, or a related field.
- Candidates should have strong organizational skills, be flexible, and be able to prioritize tasks, have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Previous experience with microscopy, we are particularly looking for candidates with experience in multiphoton microscopy, programming, or development of microscopy hardware.
- Previous experience with equipment maintenance, image analysis, and training in a core facility environment is desirable.
- Experience working within collaborative, multidisciplinary teams.
- Experience in PC maintenance and Linux System administration.
For positions that are 51% effort or more:
The posted UC salary scales set the minimum pay determined by rank and step at appointment. See Table 5: https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/2022-23/oct-2022-salary-scales/t5-summary.pdf. The minimum base salary range for this position is $106,900-$284,100. This position includes membership in the health sciences compensation plan (https://ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/apm/apm-670.pdf) which provides for eligibility for additional compensation.
For positions that are 50% effort or less:
See Table 2 (https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/2022-23/oct-2022-salary-scales/t2.pdf) for the salary range for this position. A reasonable estimate for this position is $82,200-$218,500.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04464 with cover letter, CV, statement of contributions to diversity, and contact information for three references. Applicant materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission. The selected candidate must meet all of the qualifications at the time of appointment.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: Contributions to Diversity Statement
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.