Open date: November 4, 2022
Next review date: Wednesday, Feb 1, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Saturday, May 4, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Junior Specialist – Aghi Lab
The Aghi Lab in the Department of Neurological Surgery is now seeking a Junior Specialist. The candidate filling this position will participate in basic science research to study mechanisms of glioblastoma angiogenesis, mechanisms of resistance to currently used anti-angiogenic therapies, and what drug combinations are best suited to inhibit glioblastoma angiogenesis in mouse models of human glioblastomas. Job duties will include extraction of RNA and DNA form human glioblastoma tissue; immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence of glioblastoma tissue and cultured primary glioblastoma cells; isolation of cells from glioblastoma tumors and flow cytometry of the cells to count numbers of various cell types; isolation of stem cells from human glioblastomas; CRISPR techniques; and intracranial and subcutaneous implantation of tumor cells into immunodeficient mice, followed by treatment and monitoring of these animals and euthanasia when appropriate. The candidate will be a backup person handling lab administration if primary admin specialist is unavailable - order entry, making sure protocols are in compliance, and orienting new lab members. Other duties as assigned.
• Specialists appointed at the junior rank must possess a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) or at least four years of research experience (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment, social science research methods, or creative activities).
• Experience with basic wet lab research (cell culture, pipetting, sectioning tissue, immunostaining, qPCR, mouse tumor implantation, western blotting).
• Ability to learn more advanced wet lab techniques (CRISPR, immunoprecipitation, purification of histidine-tagged proteins).
• Ability to independently plan experiments from start to finish to address a specific topic, ultimately leading the person filling this position to write portions of manuscripts
• Ability to handle lab administration, including order entry, making sure protocols are in compliance, and orienting new lab members.
• Applicant must have all requirements met by start date.
• Applicant’s materials must list (pending) qualifications upon submission.
• Independent specialized research.
• Management experience.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04248.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.