Open date: November 1, 2022
Most recent review date: Monday, Jan 9, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, May 1, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Division of Pediatrics
Department of Surgery
University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
The UCSF Department of Surgery’s Surgical Innovations program and Pediatric Device Consortium (pediatricdeviceconsortium.org) has an opening for a design and development engineer (with mechanical, biomedical or electrical engineering training) for medical device research and development projects. The engineer will have opportunities to work with a multidisciplinary team of clinicians, engineers and other researchers. The candidate will have responsibilities on multiple device development projects as assigned by the program’s directors and will be expected to attend all meetings of the department’s Innovations Group.
Specific tasks will include generating design concepts and engineering drawings; building device prototypes for testing and evaluation; conducting bench-top testing and participating in animal, and clinical testing of devices; market research; project coordination for assigned projects; and assistance with clinical and research protocol development, grant submissions, and progress reporting. Must be able to multitask and work in a collaborative team environment. Familiarity with machining skills (e.g., CNC mill using CAM, lathe, etc.) is desirable.
Essential duties and responsibilities of this position include:
• Work at the laboratory bench to develop and evaluate new products/solutions or to adapt and improve existing ones.
• Design product prototypes with test models. Simulate real world conditions and measure outputs using sensors etc.
• Define procedures to evaluate product performance and conduct bench top testing. The testing may cover efficacy, reliability, verification, and validation.
• Statistical data analysis and interpretation.
• Collaborate with other product engineers, clinicians, managers and cross-functional team in creating product and test plans.
• Interact with customers and professionals to get feedback about the product.
• Observe current clinical practices and assess user needs to guide product design.
• Work in a fast paced environment and meet critical deadlines.
• Collaborate with team to write grants for financing.
• Collaborate to develop business presentations and present at meetings.
Specialists appointed at the junior rank must have a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) in an engineering field or related field to engineering or at least four years of research experience (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment, social science research methods, or creative activities).
Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must have a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) in an engineering field or a related field in engineering or at least five years of experience in the relevant specialization.
Specialists appointed at the Associate rank must have a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) in an engineering field or in a related field in engineering or five years or more of experience in the relevant specialization.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04243.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.