Open date: December 5, 2022
Next review date: Friday, Feb 3, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Wednesday, Jun 5, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Since its founding in 1881, the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) School of Dentistry has striven to educate the leading practitioners, scholars and faculty members of the next generation. The School is a global leader in dental education and public health, clinical practice and scientific discovery and is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture of its community and a supportive work and learning environment that attracts the best faculty, staff, students and trainees.
The UCSF School of Dentistry is seeking an accomplished leader to serve as Assistant Dean for Learners Success and Belonging. Reporting directly to the Dean of UCSF School of Dentistry, the Assistant Dean will provide leadership in all matters related to the life cycle and development of students in the School; and will ensure strategic alignment with the goals and mission of the School of Dentistry and for the School’s efforts to demonstrably advance diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging of faculty, learners and staff members. Additionally, the Assistant Dean will lead in planning, directing, implementing, and assessing admission strategies and initiatives to ensure recruitment of talented and diverse incoming learners.
The incumbent will significantly contribute to the recruitment, retention, and success of underrepresented faculty, staff and learners; serving as a change agent, consultant, thought-leader, influencer and subject matter expert on diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging related issues that impact the School; and will have primary responsibility for the student experience.
This position will serve on the School of Dentistry Leadership Team. The Assistant Dean will collaborate closely with deans, chairs, and other academic and non-academic leaders developing and delivering all key School and University strategies.
This is a full-time academic position. The incumbent will have a concurrent faculty appointment in the appropriate series and rank contingent on qualifications and/or interests; and may participate in limited clinical, teaching and/or research activities. This is an excellent opportunity for a builder and visionary leader who wants to develop the best and brightest in future generations of dentists by ensuring both the greatest student experience possible and the rigor required to achieve the School’s mission.
- DDS/DMD, EdD, and/or PhD degree or equivalent.
- At least 2 years of experience working in admissions or in a higher education setting.
- Significant understanding of higher education administration and proven culture builder.
- Demonstrated experience in diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging within a complex education or healthcare organization.
- Strong emotional intelligence and relationship orientation; ability to partner, influence others, and create a highly collaborative culture which enables effective communication and knowledge sharing, but also ownership and accountability for results.
- Demonstrated experience developing and evaluating programs and efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with and advise faculty and learners from all backgrounds and especially those underrepresented in health sciences.
- Demonstrated knowledge about faculty and learner recruitment, retention and advancement.
- Highly credible and knowledgeable about recruiting, retaining and advancing diverse faculty, learners and staff.
- Ability to handle highly sensitive information with the utmost confidentiality is critical.
- Experience in interprofessional health education.
- Experience with the continuum of dental education at the institutional level.
- Strong knowledge of University accreditation process.
- Strong understanding of clinical higher education.
Please apply online at: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04238 with cover letter, CV, a detailed description of the qualifications and experience relevant to this position, statement of teaching, statement of research, statement of contributions to diversity, and contact information for three references. Applicant materials must list current qualifications upon submission. The selected candidate must meet the qualifications at the time of application.
Further enquiries may be directed to Maria Rina Simon at email@example.com.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
A detailed description of the qualifications and experience relevant to this position
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
- 3 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.