Open date: October 7, 2022
Most recent review date: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Sunday, Apr 7, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Chair, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco
The School of Medicine at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF School of Medicine) seeks an outstanding individual to lead its internationally recognized Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. The successful candidate will have a national reputation as a visionary leader in academic medicine and the field of orthopaedic surgery, with strong administrative and organizational skills. The individual chosen will hold responsibility for the overall direction of this distinguished Department and will:
• Provide visionary leadership with future-oriented thinking about the direction of the field of Orthopaedic Surgery
• Act collaboratively and makes decisions based on what will bring the greatest benefit to the Department, the School, and the overall institution, balancing the needs of the department with the needs of the School and University
• Demonstrate full commitment to cultivating, a diverse, equitable and inclusive climate
• Actively foster a climate that is supportive of professional development and mentoring for faculty, staff and learners
• Promote teamwork and collaboration both within the department and between/among other departments in all aspects of academic and clinical functions
• Cultivate relationships across the campus among other departments and schools, across the UC System, and with colleagues at national and international levels
• Participate in various leadership forums within the School of Medicine, the clinical enterprise, and the campus, to facilitate the successful execution of the Department’s and School’s mission, goals, and values.
An MD (or equivalent degree) is required.
About the UCSF School of Medicine:
Consistently ranked among the nation's top medical schools, the UCSF School of Medicine earns its greatest distinction from its outstanding faculty. Our academic health system is successful because we are able to recruit the best and brightest faculty, staff, and learners from around the world, who set standards for and provide the highest quality patient care, train the next generation of healthcare professionals, conduct cutting edge biomedical research, and guide health policy throughout the nation and the world.
The executive search firm Korn Ferry is assisting the UCSF School of Medicine with this important search. To submit nominations or an application, please contact Alana Aisthorpe Alana.Aisthorpe@KornFerry.com
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.