Benioff Center for Microbiome Medicine - Immunology Research Specialist
Open date: September 15, 2022
Next review date: Monday, Jun 5, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Friday, Mar 15, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist position in immunology available
in the Benioff Center for Microbiome Medicine
The Benioff Center for Microbiome Medicine at the Parnassus campus of UCSF is looking to appoint a Immunology Research Specialist to support two large ongoing research studies (https://microbiome.ucsf.edu/collaborative-research-initiatives):
Premature Microbiome and Outcomes (PREMO): In partnership with the California Preterm Birth Initiative (PTBi-CA), PREMO aims to develop a greater understanding of the role of the early-life microbiome in preterm infant immune development in the context of morbidity and mortality outcomes.
Therapeutics: The BCMM is also investigating how drugs, including microbe- and host-targeted small molecules and biologics, drive inter-individual variations in microbiome structure and function with the aim of repositioning existing drugs and developing novel microbial-derived bioactives for treatment of inflammatory diseases.
• Timely processing/banking of samples from ongoing studies
• Isolation of immune cells from human samples
• Perform immunophenotyping assays including Multi-parameter flow cytometry on maternal and infant samples
• Perform in vitro studies using cell lines and isolated primary human immune cells to identify novel microbial-derived immunomodulatory molecules and their mechanism(s) of action
Enabling leadership and professional development opportunities is central to the BCMM culture. Candidates will have opportunities to collaborate with team members within BCMM’s various Co-labs (microbial genomics, metabolomics, microbial culture and gnotobiotic mouse facilites) and co-author scientific publications. They will also work closely with their manager to create a tailored professional development plan to further their career goals.
• Specialists appointed at the junior rank must possess a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) in immunology or a related discipline or at least four years of research experience.
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant or Associate rank must possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) in immunology or a related discipline or five to ten years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Specialist appointed at the Full rank must possess a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) in immunology or a related discipline or have ten or more years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Candidates must meet the requirements by the time of appointment.
• Background in immunological molecular methods
• Demonstrated ability to work within a collaborative research team and effectively interact with a broad range of colleagues from distinct disciplines
• Ability to work independently and productively and to troubleshoot
• Superb organizational and record-keeping skills
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04173. Applicants’ materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.