Open date: September 15, 2022
Most recent review date: Sunday, Jan 15, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Mar 15, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Department of Medicine
Job Description: The Lynch Lab at the Parnassus campus of the University of California San Francisco is seeking a Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist to conduct human microbiome research. Research studies in the lab primarily involve large-scale human studies incorporating analytical methods including sequencing (biomarker, shotgun metagenomics and transcriptomic sequencing) and liquid and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry approaches to analyze microbiota function. These efforts are coupled with in vitro and in vivo model systems and a strong focus on translational research. We are most interested in talented, motivated, enthusiastic candidates who have strong communication (written and verbal) skills. Candidates should be detail-oriented and possess excellent organization and analytical skills. The successful applicant must be willing and eager to work closely with multi-disciplinary teams of investigators. A minimum 2-year commitment is strongly preferred.
Job Responsibilities: Tasks will include study design, preparation of sample collection kits, retrieving and transporting samples from local research sites, sample processing, data generation, analyses and interpretation. Preparation of manuscripts and reports detailing findings and contributing to preparation of grant applications as a co-investigator. The incumbent will also be responsible for aspects of lab management.
• Specialists appointed at the junior rank must possess a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) or at least four years of research experience.
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant or Associate rank must possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or five to ten years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Specialist appointed at the Full rank must possess a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) or have ten or more years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Candidates must meet the requirements by the time of appointment.
Experience: Experience working in a microbiology or biochemistry lab. Demonstrated experience in microbiome and/or basic microbiology research.
Additional Qualifications for the position are:
• excellent organizational and communication skills
• strong analytical abilities, problem-solving abilities, and detail oriented
• ability to maintain comprehensive laboratory notebook on a daily basis
• ability to work independently and assess need for assistance from supervisor
• driver’s license and clean driving record
Licensure/Certification/Registration: CA driver’s license
Physical Requirements: Normal physical requirements include good visual acuity and accurate color discrimination. The position requires excellent manual dexterity and familiarity utilizing delicate instrumentation.
Please submit CV and the contact information for two references.
Please apply online via AP Recruit at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04171. Applicants’ materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2-4 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.