Open date: August 5, 2022
Most recent review date: Saturday, Aug 20, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Monday, Feb 5, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Bapat Lab - Lab Manager/Specialist in a New Immunology, Metabolism, and Genomic Editing Lab at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
The Bapat Lab (https://diabetes.ucsf.edu/people/sagar-bapat) is seeking a Lab Manager/Scientist to help anchor a new, small lab pursuing research that seeks to understand how shifts in systemic and cellular metabolism affect immune responses, specifically focusing on T cells. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will have proven experience in a broad range of techniques commonly used in immunology research, which includes fluency with flow cytometry, mouse husbandry/colony management, cell culture, basic molecular biology and biochemistry techniques (e.g. transfections, cloning viral expression vectors, western blots), and a willingness to learn and become adept in new techniques in the areas of DNA cloning/sequencing, viral transduction, and advanced microscopy among others. The expectation will be that this individual will be able to pursue a scientific line of inquiry via direct experimentation and intellectual contribution. This individual should have proven experience in setting up experiments with proper controls, acquiring and analyzing data, and synthesizing the data into actionable next steps.
This individual will perform key tasks related to lab management and administration including purchasing/ordering supplies required for experiments for the lab, ensuring lab safety, animal, and other protocols are in good order, and working with lab members to solve other administrative tasks as they come up.
This individual will report to the lab head, but a proven ability to work and make decisions independently, with regards to research projects and lab management is desired.
• Specialists appointed at the Junior rank must possess a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) or at least four years of relevant research experience.
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant or Associate ranks must possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or five years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Specialists appointed at the Full rank must possess a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) or ten or more years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Research experience in Biology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Genomics, Metabolism, or related scientific field.
• Strong writing skills with experience designing/formatting figures for presentations and publication.
• Excellent and demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize with superior organizational skills.
• Applicants must meet required qualifications by time of hire. CV must list pending qualifications.
• Exposure to handling/manipulating mice for experimental work
• Exposure to CRISPR-based genetic engineering techniques, T cell biology, experiments involving metabolism, and next-generation sequencing
• Exposure to manipulation of mammalian cells via viral transduction
• Desire to attend research seminars and engage intellectually in the rich academic research community
• Actively seeks opportunities to develop skills and expertise
Applicants must apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04110, with a CV, cover letter, and the contact information of 3 references.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.