Open date: July 26, 2022
Most recent review date: Wednesday, Aug 10, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Jan 26, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Junior, Assistant, Associate, or Full Specialist
High-throughput drug screening
Arkin Lab and Small Molecule Discovery Center
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
University of California, San Francisco
The Arkin lab and Small Molecule Discovery Center (SMDC) at UCSF are seeking a highly collaborative biologist or biochemist with a passion for drug discovery and chemical biology. The successful applicant will design, optimize and conduct biochemical and cell-based high-throughput screens, analyze and upload screening data, and assist with compound library management. Scientists who enjoy working on diverse problems and thrive in a team-oriented, multi-disciplinary environment are ideally suited for this position.
The Arkin lab conducts research aimed at understanding and treating diseases of aging; we are particularly passionate about tackling heretofore ‘undruggable’ drug targets. The SMDC is a research collaboratory that works with UCSF and external researchers to develop chemical probes and drug leads using a variety of methods, including fragment-based drug discovery and high-throughput screening.
The position will report to Dr. Michelle Arkin, Professor and Chair of Pharmaceutical Chemistry. The Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry is one of the three departments in the School of Pharmacy, one of the top ranked schools of Pharmacy in the US. When biomedical research at UCSF uncovers new potential targets for drug discovery, the SMDC works with researchers to develop chemical tools and drug leads to further understand and exploit these targets for human health.
• Develop screening methods and optimize workflows
• Design and execute biophysical, biochemical, and cell-based drug screens
• Assist with compound library management
• Analyze and upload screening data to our proprietary data management platform
• Train UCSF researchers on use of SMDC equipment
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Junior Specialist: BA/BS in life science/chemistry or four years of research experience
• Assistant/Associate Specialist: MA in life science/chemistry or at least five years of relevant experience
• Full Specialist: PhD or at least ten years of relevant research experience
• Enthusiasm for working in a team research environment
• Strong written and communication skills
• Experience with high-throughput screening or fragment screening
• Experience with liquid handling equipment (bulk reagent dispensers, plate washers, acoustic dispensers, pipetting robots)
• Experience with high-content imaging and analysis software
• Experience with biochemical or cell-based assay development
• Experience with HTS data management/visualization software (Dotmatics, Vortex, Datawarrior, Knime)
Candidates must meet the required qualifications at the time of appointment. Candidate’s CV or cover letter must state qualifications (or if pending) upon submission. Salary will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience and training.
Applicants should submit a brief cover letter and a curriculum vitae. Please apply online and submit these documents along with the contact information for at least two references to: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04048
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.