Open date: July 1, 2022
Most recent review date: Monday, Aug 1, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Monday, Jan 1, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Area of Specialization / Responsibilities:
I. RESEARCH IN SPECIALIZED AREAS (80% EFFORT)
A. Collaborate with Principal Investigators (PIs) and study personnel in the UCSF Department of Emergency Medicine conducting interdisciplinary studies focusing on Emergency Medicine care for pediatric and/or adult patients.
- Review and maintain current competency of study protocols and procedures for Emergency Medicine research studies starting up, currently enrolling patients and closing out.
- Under supervision of the PIs, abstract data from electronic medical records according to study protocols; input abstracted data; store and ship samples according to appropriate university and protocol guidelines; conduct patient follow-up activities; and resolve data queries.
- Review literature for background information and emerging science relevant to Emergency Medicine research projects, and research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications related to their sub-specialty area.
- Participate in training for enrollment and data collection activities (such as procedures involving innovative diagnostic and treatment equipment or other follow-up testing of research participants), developing expert skills in assessing patients and coding/scoring assessments performed by others.
- Coordinate and participate in dissemination activities to support an application for federal exception from informed consent for Emergency Medicine research. B. Serve as a research coordinator for interdisciplinary studies focusing on questions in Emergency Medicine care for pediatric and/or adult patients conducted by PIs in the department.
- Responsible for acquiring sufficient knowledge to enroll appropriate subjects into IRB- approved research studies, and ensuring proper management of biological specimens, data collection and data management, according to specific protocols as well as relevant policies and procedures.
II. PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE AND ACTIVITY (15% EFFORT)
A. Complete and maintain IRB required education, including CITI course for Biomedical Researchers, Good Clinical Practice and IATA certification, as applicable.
B. Attend and participate in UCSF bootcamp-sponsored training for clinical research activities, DEM sponsored Works-in-Progress (WIP) forums, network teleconferences and meetings, and in regular internal and external study meetings with the PIs and other investigators where progress of the work will be discussed.
C. Participate in protocol reviews for new studies and provide substantive feedback on content and implementation.
III. UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (5% EFFORT)
A. Participate with the PIs and study team in presentations to the community and service providers for participant recruitment purposes as well as public disclosure activities.
B. Participate in activities of committees within the department, campus and other University entities, as appropriate.
• Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences or related field required.
• Ability to screen and recruit patients into clinical research trials.
• Knowledge and understanding of 'Good Clinical Practices' for clinical research.
• Ability to interpret and understand clinical protocols and provide instruction on their implementation.
• Ability to read and understand patient medical records, abstract clinical data from medical records and record accurately on case report forms and/or in electronic databases.
• Excellent communication skills in interacting with research participants, physicians, hospital clinical staff, university department staff/representatives, and research sponsors.
• Excellent organizational skills in maintaining thorough and accurate study documentation while conducting procedures for multiple clinical trials.
• Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment while working with a diverse subject population.
• Ability to work well independently, complete projects in a timely manner, and prioritize multiple projects to ensure the completion of essential tasks by deadlines.
• Computer skills sufficient to effectively use MS Word, Excel, web interfaces and patient and research databases.
• The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF locations is required.
• Flexibility in scheduling, with the ability to rotate shifts to provide coverage on evenings and weekends.
• A minimum of 6 months paid or volunteer experience in clinical or applied research.
• Familiarity with grant preparation, protection of human subjects, creating tables and figures for publication, manuscript preparation and submission.
• Obtaining research publications from library/online sources for literature searches.
• Experience with electronic medical records.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF04031. Applicants’ materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 5-7 required (contact information only)
Contact information for 5 references (3 managers and 2 other [peers/colleagues]).
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.