Open date: May 6, 2022
Most recent review date: Saturday, May 21, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Monday, Nov 6, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Laboratory Manager – Research Specialist - Feng Lab
University of California, San Francisco
Department of Radiation Oncology
The Feng Laboratory at the University of California, San Francisco is seeking to recruit a Laboratory Manager to join our highly collaborative research team. The candidate will be hired as a Research Specialist at the Junior, Assistant, Associate, or Full Level.
The Feng lab explores the fundamental drives of prostate cancer, including treatment resistance and progression to metastatic disease. The lab utilizes cancer genomics, cell biology, CRISPR and small molecule screens, and mouse modeling approaches, with the goal of translating discoveries from the lab into the clinic. Ongoing research projects in the Feng Lab focuses on (1) identifying molecular drivers of prostate cancer pathogenesis, (2) understanding the mechanisms that contribute to disease progression and metastasis, and (3) developing novel therapeutic strategies. We work collaboratively with basic scientists, computational biologists, pathologists, and oncologists at the UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center.
The Laboratory Manager will be a key laboratory member, managing the daily operations of the lab, assist with ongoing experiments, and be a main point of contact for lab activities. The ideal candidate will have a high level of organization and be a strong communicator. This position will ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements; maintain laboratory spaces and equipment; and resolve lab related issues. Additionally, the candidate will have the opportunity to learn and utilize a variety of research techniques and be able to co-author publications when appropriate.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Participate in writing grants manuscripts, progress reports, and research presentations.
• Administrative lab duties including; lab schedules, staff onboarding, and ensuring compliance with safety guidelines.
• Manage daily lab operations including; organizing the lab space, ensuring equipment and software maintenance, and ordering supplies.
• Assist in the research projects, and have general knowledge of either molecular and/or computational biology techniques.
• Applicants need to be self-motivated, fast learners, critical thinkers, and enthusiastic about science and medicine.
• Applicants need to work well as part of a team and have outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• Experience with grant management; including grant budgets (preferably federal funds, R01 and/or DOD grants), and forecasting needs for the upcoming year.
• Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate tasks with others, and meet deadlines.
o Junior rank must possess a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) or at least 4 years of relevant research experience.
o Assistant rank must possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or 5 years of relevant research experience.
o Associate rank must possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or 5-10 years of relevant research experience.
o Full Specialist rank must possess a PhD degree or at least ten or more years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Prior independent research experience in molecular and cellular biology or computational biology or tumor immunology.
• Experience with molecular biology and biochemistry techniques, cell culture, CRISPR/Cas9, qPCR, confocal microscopy, and/or managing a mouse colony.
• Prior experience conducting xenograft studies and pharmacologic experiments in mice.
• Preference for the Junior Specialist position may be given to applicants interested in pursuing a biomedical sciences PhD or MD/PhD.
Salary and appointment will be commensurate with the applicant's experience and training. This position is available immediately. Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03946.
To apply please submit your CV, cover letter and 3 reference contacts.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.