Open date: April 21, 2022
Most recent review date: Friday, Sep 9, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Saturday, Oct 21, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Junior or Assistant Specialist – Kortemme Lab
The Junior / Assistant Specialist will join an interdisciplinary research group working on new approaches (including computation and machine/deep learning) to design proteins with new structures and functions with applications in biotechnology and medicine. The Specialist will collaborate with graduate students and postdocs to perform high-throughput assays (yeast display) to test thousands of designed proteins. The Specialist will be in charge of protein expression, purification and biochemical activity assays. The Specialist will analyze data and present the analysis to the research group. The Specialist will be required to accurately document all experiments and will need to have excellent communication skills, written and verbal. This is a multi-year position. Candidates interested in obtaining research experience prior to applying to graduate school as well as those who prefer to be long-term staff specialists will be considered.
- Specialists appointed at the junior rank must possess (at the time of hire) a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) in biochemistry, bioengineering, or a related field.
- Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must possess (at the time of hire) a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) in biochemistry, bioengineering, or a related field or a BS/BA degree with five years of full-time research experience in the relevant specialization.
- Excellent ability to document experiments and to communicate (written and verbal).
- One year or more of research experience in protein biochemistry or high-throughput technology in academia or industry.
- Ability to work as a member of a dynamic, interdisciplinary team.
- Motivation for scientific research and strong work ethics.
- Applicant’s materials must list (pending) qualifications upon submission.
- Ability to independently troubleshoot experiments.
- Experience with yeast or phage display technology.
- Experience and interest in protein design.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
Please apply online at: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03924 with cover letter, CV and contact information for two references. The selected candidate must meet all of the qualifications at the time of hire.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.