Open date: February 18th, 2022
Most recent review date: Sunday, Apr 10, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Aug 18, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Bose Lab – Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE – Anatomy
The lab of Rohit Bose MD PhD at UCSF ( http://rohitlab.org ) is searching for exceptionally motivated and enthusiastic research specialists. The lab is run by a practicing physician-scientist focused on hormone-related cancers. The lab focuses on using clinically relevant immune-intact cancer models in order to develop & test novel therapeutic strategies. Although primarily a lab-focused position, the candidate will also interface with clinical teams regarding patient data & samples. The specialist will be an integral member of the research team; thus, the position will require a degree of independence but is still under general supervision. This type of experience is superb preparation for application to graduate or medical school. The position is a balancing act and requires an organized person with talent for multi-tasking, as there are three key components:
• An exceptional candidate will lead their own independent project(s), develop new ideas, be familiar with the literature, and participate in procurement of funds, where appropriate.
• Collaborate with other members on research projects (e.g. those involving hormone-sensitive cancer organoids )
• Is expected to assist with day-to-day lab operations, perform general lab duties and be a positive lab citizen
• Must have (or be in process of obtaining) a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent degree) or four years of research experience to be appointed at the Junior rank.
• Must have (or be in process of obtaining) a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or at least five to ten years of research experience to be appointed at the Assistant or Associate ranks.
• Must have (or be in process of obtaining) a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) or at least ten or more years of research experience to be appointed at the Full rank.
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written).
• Willingness and ability to learn new methods and skills for changing research priorities.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a research team.
• Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work tasks with others, and meet multiple deadlines.
• Flexibility to work occasionally in excess of 8 hours and/or on weekends.
• Ability to perform repetitive tasks routinely and precisely (plating cells, running samples, etc).
• Prior lab experience from academic or industry (beyond coursework).
• Familiarity with any of the following: mammalian cell culture, flow cytometry, microscopy, immunostating, immunofluorescence, molecular biology, use of mouse models.
• Experience with R programming, or a desire to learn it for DNA-seq, RNA-seq, SC-seq or ChIP-seq analysis
• Candidates interested in applying to graduate or medical school are encouraged to apply.
Applicants must meet requirements by the time of appointment.
We are seeking at least a 1-year commitment. Depending on performance and workload, opportunities for independent research, mentorship of other trainees, and scientific writing will be available.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03836 with a CV and the names of 2 reference contacts.
San Francisco, CA
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.