Open date: February 18, 2022
Most recent review date: Wednesday, Mar 16, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Aug 18, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Knox Lab – Junior Specialist
School of Dentistry – Cell & Tissue Biology
The Knox lab at the Parnassus campus of UCSF is seeking a Junior Specialist to help carry out both wet-lab and dry-lab work aimed at solving the role of the peripheral nerve supply in organ development, regeneration, and chronic disease (e.g., autoimmune disease, cancer). The candidate will work closely with the PI and other members of the laboratory and neighboring laboratories to provide experimental, analytical, and organizational support towards our goal. The candidate will carry-out a mix of animal husbandry (mouse breeding), mouse genetics and cell biology, and computational image analysis techniques commonly used in the Knox laboratory and actively participate in the development and execution of other lab projects and experiments. The candidate will also be expected to help develop new analysis methods and set up, organize, and maintain the lab as it expands. Additional duties will include participating in general laboratory set-up, organization and maintenance, assistance with ordering and unpacking supplies, training and orienting new members, and actively participating in group meetings to discuss both experimental minutiae and big picture ideas.
Candidates should be detail-oriented, capable of working independently and in small groups, and possess excellent organization, analytical, and communication skills. Candidates must be willing and eager to work closely with other faculty and their lab members. Potential exists for motivated candidates to perform independent research and train new lab members. We are looking for a minimum 1-year commitment. Candidates who are looking for additional experience in a biomedical research laboratory before pursuing graduate education or a career in biotechnology are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 4 years of research experience at the time of hire.
- Minimum one year of experience working in a biology or biomedical research lab.
- Demonstrated experience with standard laboratory calculations (for example, mathematical calculations to determine cell numbers and dilutions of stock chemical solutions) and with statistical hypothesis testing.
- Hands-on experience with some or all of the following techniques (mouse genetics, cell culture, western blotting, immuno-fluorescence, molecular biology and PCR, microscopy, and statistical hypothesis testing) and familiarity with Fiji, Adobe Illustrator, Nikon Elements, and/or Zeiss software.
- Excellent organizational skills, excellent communication skills.
- Excellent analytical abilities, problem-solving abilities, and detail oriented.
- Ability to maintain comprehensive laboratory notebook of experiments done on a daily basis.
- Ability to work independently and assess need for assistance from supervisor.
- Worked in a lab with mice before.
See Table 24B (https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/2022-23/july-2022-salary-scales/t24-b.pdf) for the salary range for this position. A reasonable estimate for this position is $49,000-52,200.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03815 by submitting a curriculum vitae and contact information for two references. Applicant materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission. The selected candidate must meet all of the qualifications at the time of hire.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.