Open date: January 10, 2022
Most recent review date: Wednesday, Dec 14, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Monday, Jul 10, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The School of Dentistry at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), invites applications for the role of Group Practice Leader. This is a full-time faculty teaching position in the Health Sciences Clinical Professor series (at the ranks of Assistant or Associate Professor) in the Department of Preventive and Restorative Dental Sciences (PRDS), reporting to the Division Chair of Clinical General Dentistry. The Group Practice Leaders work closely with the Executive Director of Clinical Education and the Associate Dean for Education and Student Affairs. The incumbent will dedicate 80% of their effort to the Group Practice Leader role with the remaining 20% dedicated to additional teaching and/or faculty practice. This position combines leadership in education, clinical dental practice, operations, and administration, and will play a crucial role in turning the School of Dentistry’s learners into competent, independent clinicians.
• Provide direct clinical instruction to student dentists within the Group Practice model
• Serve as a mentor and professional resource to students during their clinical training
• Provide didactic teaching on relevant topics in small group settings
• Provide written and verbal assessments to student dentists related to their clinical performance and the progression of their clinical skills and behaviors relative to established performance benchmarks
• Work with Course Directors and educational leadership to assist in the global assessment of student competence
• Assist in the creation and execution of formal guidance plans and other remediation efforts for students who experience delayed acquisition of clinical skills
• Be involved in continuous quality improvement of the clinical training program, and in development of new curriculum and educational programs as needed
• Lead calibration efforts for clinical faculty within the Group Practice and work with other Group Practice Leaders to ensure calibration across groups
• Lead the processes of new patient intake and patient distribution with the Group Practice Model to achieve team-based comprehensive care and the desired outcomes of the clinical training program
• Monitor and meet productivity standards as the primary attending faculty for the patients of the group
• Evaluate the performance of the Group Practice against specific fiscal and operational metrics
• Work with students, staff and other faculty to optimize the patient experience and maximize clinical educational experiences, in a manner that is data-driven
Qualifications and Skills:
• The individual selected must have a U.S. DDS/DMD or an equivalent degree
• Must have current or be eligible for California dental licensure
• Proficiency in electronic health record use
• Proficiency with data management and analysis using various learning management software programs
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
• At least three years of clinical dental experience is preferred
• Previous predoctoral teaching experience is preferred
• Prior high-level teaching experience, including educational administrative experience such as serving as a Course Director, Clinical Coach, Group Practice Leader or in an equivalent position
• Expertise in teaching, assessment of student learning, or program evaluation
• Experience with quality assurance processes and practice management
• Willingness to participate in UCSF professional development programs specific to education
Academic rank and salary level will be based on the successful applicant’s experience.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03709 by submitting a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, statement of teaching, statement of contributions to diversity, and the names and contact information of three references. Applicants’ materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission. Candidate must meet all of the requirements at the time of appointment. The position is open until filled.
Curriculum Vitae - CV must clearly list current and/or pending qualifications (e.g. board eligibility/certification, medical licensure, etc.).
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details: https://diversity.ucsf.edu/contributions-to-diversity-statement
Statement of Research (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.