Open date: October 18, 2021
Next review date: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
VA CENTRAL CALIFORNIA HEALTH CARE SYSTEM (VACCHCS) MEDICINE SERVICE/DEPARTMENT OF INTERNAL MEDICINE
PHYSICIAN – Pulmonary and Critical Care
California- Department of Veterans Affairs California Health Care System, Fresno, CA, affiliated with University of California- San Francisco Fresno Branch Campus, leader in health care quality is recruiting for two full-time faculty members (1.0 FTE) in the pulmonary/critical care department.
This position is in the department of Medicine Service, VA Central California Healthcare System (VACCHCS). This position has the opportunity to include a leadership and clinical research activities.
VA provides patient centered care, delivered by engaged, collaborative teams in an integrated environment that supports learning and continuous improvement. We are looking for a provider with outstanding clinical and interpersonal skills who will provide the highest quality veteran-centered care. Candidate must have completed (or in process of completing) a residency in internal medicine and fellowship in pulmonary and critical care.
• United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
• Degree of Doctor of Medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
• Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
• Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
• Proficiency in spoken and written English.
• Board-certified in Internal Medicine (ABIM), and Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine.
• Faculty appointment with UCSF will be commensurate with the applicant’s background and accomplishments.
The incumbent serves as the staff physician in the Pulmonary/Critical Care Section in Medicine Service of the Veterans Affairs Central California Health Care System (VACCHCS) and is responsible for all aspects of pulmonary and critical care to veteran patients.
The incumbent is involved in clinical, educational, and research programs which will involve the supervision and teaching of fellows and residents through the UCSF Fresno Medical Education Program.
The Staff Pulmonologist will participate in quality assurance/performance measures, research development, and maintaining internal/external organizational liaisons.
The incumbent is responsible for participating in a variety of meetings and/or committees within and related to the Medicine Service, facility-wide committees, VISN 21, and our university affiliate UCSF Fresno.
Providing care for the full spectrum of sleep disorders, is comprised of general and subspecialty sleep disorders clinics, inpatient consultative services, in-lab and home-based sleep testing, tele-sleep services to its Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs),
• Practices independently, using professional judgment and expertise to make decisions about services and treatment provided to veterans and their significant others/family members. Incumbent is given authority to make his/her own work assignments within the program area to which assigned. Consults with the Chief Pulmonologist and the Chief of Medicine as needed and with colleagues to develop knowledge and apply agency policies and practices to new matters. The selected candidate’s work is reviewed for technical adequacy and conformance with procedures and practices applicable to the subject.
• Uses initiative and resourcefulness in deviating from traditional methods or trends and patterns to develop new methods, criteria, and proposed new policies. Practices at an advanced level and independently gathers relevant information to guide practice.
• Participates and is responsible for ongoing professional performance evaluations in collaboration with the Chief of medicine service (e.g. Ongoing Professional Evaluations (OPPE), Focused Professional Practice Evaluations (FPPE), etc.)
• The Staff Pulmonologist reports directly to the Chief Pulmonologist and consults with the Chief of Medicine; and fully cooperates with other staff of Medicine Service and other health care services.
Other functions to be performed include but are not limited to:
• Coordinate the clinical care of the medicine patients and collaborate with the other service(s) on the care of their patients.
• Facilitate communication among primary care physicians, hospitalists, specialists, patients and their families
• Provide inpatient consultations and attending responsibilities in pulmonary/critical care/sleep medicine and bronchoscopic procedures in appropriate cases; conduct general pulmonary/sleep outpatient clinics. Provide guidance to respiratory therapists.
• Responsible for appropriate documentation of clinic notes, consultations and procedures using the computerized patient record; and performing routine/emergency diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
• Admit, examine, treat, transfer and discharge patients referred to your service that require inpatient care and when appropriate
• Perform daily rounds on all assigned inpatients and write daily progress notes.
• Provide supplemental coverage to coverage to ICU in support of assigned hospitalist(s).
• Participate in after-hours coverage and call coverage as needed.
• Participate in activities of the medical center that are designed to meet the requirements of the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health care Organizations (The Joint Commission) and other regulatory agencies as they apply to the position.
• Participate in committees and review processes when needed or requested.
• Participate in all activities of the Pulmonary/Critical Care Section that includes other programs such as the Sleep Study.
• Review and act upon access and productivity to ensure highest quality of care is provided to our veteran patients.
Fresno, California, is an affordable community surrounded by limitless recreational opportunities and spectacular scenery. Ideally located: the majestic Sierra is 60 minutes away and central coast wine region is a few hours away. Fresno is in close proximity to here national parks including renowned Yosemite National Park.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at:https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03571. Applicants’ materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details:
Misc / Additional (Optional)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.