Open date: June 17, 2021
Most recent review date: Wednesday, Aug 31, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Saturday, Dec 17, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Division Chief of Pediatric Anesthesia at BCH Oakland
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care is seeking a Chief of the Division of Pediatric Anesthesia at Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland (BCH Oakland). The Division Chief will lead a group of faculty emphasizing high quality, patient-centered perioperative care with a focus on evidence-based medicine. This is an outstanding opportunity to join an established Anesthesia Department with a national reputation of excellence in education, research, and perioperative care.
The chief will provide leadership for approximately 23 faculty members working at BCH Oakland in order to support the department mission in patient care, research, education, and public service. The Division Chief reports to the Anesthesia Department Chair. Anesthesia faculty participate as a part of a team that includes over 200 faculty, 99 residents, 51 CRNAs and over 20 research-trainees and fellows. The Department has essential roles in patient care outside of the operating rooms, with active participation in Ambulatory Care, Acute and Chronic Pain, Critical Care and the Preoperative Clinic at a Level 1 Pediatric Trauma hospital.
Responsibilities of the Division Chief:
• Oversee delivery of clinical care provided by division and ensure quality of care, access, on-call and clinic schedule
• Accountable for BCH division’s financial and productivity performance. Define clinical productivity standards and benchmark for division
• Develop strategy to retain and develop academic/clinical skills of existing faculty and conduct annual performance review, as well as, plan for promotion.
• Input into recruitment, hiring and promotion of division faculty
• Participate in resident, medical student education and ensure compliance with ACGME
• Participate in health system committees and /or program strategy development
• Establish/monitor cross bay / integration goals/targets. Accountable for fostering achievement of goals
Successful applicants will demonstrate an aptitude for providing evidence based, high quality care in clinical teams that enhance the patient experience with a commitment to patient safety and satisfaction. Applicants are expected to teach residents and medical students; participate in University service, faculty meetings, monthly Grand Rounds and M&M conferences; contribute to quality assurance programs and continuing education; and advance the mission of the department. The successful applicant will have significant experience in professional clinical practice and leadership, post training.
Our department philosophy is aligned with UCSF campus leadership in the areas of recruiting and retaining individuals traditionally under-represented in the health sciences, LGBTQ, and individuals with disabilities, to better reflect the diversity of the population we serve in the San Francisco Bay Area. We further recognize that successfully recruiting people to join our enterprise is not the end of the story. It is also critical that we provide an environment in which all individuals in our workforce and trainee programs experience a professional, supportive, collaborative and open environment and have the opportunity to thrive. We are dedicated to the ongoing pursuit of these goals.
The successful candidate must meet the following qualifications by time of hire:
• Significant professional experience in clinical practice and leadership.
• Must hold an MD or DO degree and be board certified in Anesthesia.
• Must possess a valid California Medical License.
• Must be Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship trained or have equivalent advanced training and/or experience beyond that of anesthesia residency training.
• Applicant’s materials must list (pending) qualifications upon submission.
• Preferred: Pediatric Cardiothoracic Anesthesia Fellowship trained.
Salary and academic rank will be commensurate with experience and achievements.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03432.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details:
- 3 required (contact information only)
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.