Open date: April 23rd, 2021
Most recent review date: Friday, Apr 15, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Junior/Assistant Specialist (Ricardo-Gonzalez Lab)
Department of Dermatology
The Ricardo-Gonzalez Lab is a newly established immunology laboratory interested in understanding how immune cells influence tissue physiology and function. The research specialist will perform basic and translational research to investigate the role of innate immune cells in tissue homeostasis and models of infection, inflammation, and cancer. We seek a specialist who will assist the team by performing laboratory and investigative procedures using a wide array of experimental techniques such as PCR, cell culture (cell lines and primary cells), plasmid prep and purification, molecular cloning, flow cytometry, immunofluorescence imaging, and ELISA-like assays. Translational research components will involve experiments with human blood and tissue samples. Specialist responsibilities regarding transgenic mouse model systems may include breeding, screening, and immunizing mice as well as dissecting tissues to obtain cells for culture and analysis of gene expression.
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent interpersonal communication, ability to consent and recruit patients for the studies
• Willingness and ability to learn new methods and skills as needed for changing research priorities.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a research team.
• Must be organized and have the ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work tasks with others, and manage to meet multiple deadlines.
• Ability to maintain a comprehensive laboratory notebook of experiments done on a daily basis
• Demonstration of accuracy and attention to detail in sample preparation during prior research experience is required.
• Ability to use or learn to enter information into RedCaps data base
• Specialist appointed at the Junior rank must possess (or be in process of obtaining) a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent degree) in biology, biochemistry, or a related scientific discipline or four years of research experience.
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must possess (or be in process of obtaining) a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) in biology, biochemistry, or a related scientific discipline or five of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Candidates must meet the requirements by the time of appointment.
• Experience with mouse models of human disease
• Experience with cell culture and sterile technique
• Experience with infectious disease models in mice
• Computational biology coursework and/or research experience
• Flow Cytometry (FACS): Ability to perform multicolor flow cytometry. Demonstration of accuracy and attention to detail in sample preparation during prior research experience is required.
• Transgenic Mouse Work: Experience with experimental animal research. Comfort with handling, manipulating, euthanizing, and dissecting experimental animals.
• Fluorescence Microscopy: Experience with sample preparation, immunofluorescence staining, and use of epifluorescence and confocal microscopes for image acquisition.
• Communication, logistical, and time management skills to coordinate work with other lab members.
Licensure/Certification/Registration: None required.
• Good visual acuity and accurate color discrimination.
• The position requires excellent manual dexterity and familiarity utilizing delicate instrumentation.
• Occasionally lifts and/or carries objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
• Work involves possible exposure to malodorous vapors, low dose radiation, contamination by toxic chemicals and acids and presence of carcinogenic substances.
• Long periods of standing and/or sitting.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03372, submit a CV, cover letter, and one reference letter.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 1 letter of reference required
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.