Open date: April 12th, 2021
Last review date: Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Oct 12, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Senior Research Scientist – Ashworth Lab
The Ashworth Lab is recruiting a Senior Scientist to fill an Associate/Full Specialist position.
Research in the Ashworth Lab focuses on identifying genetic vulnerabilities in cancer that can be exploited therapeutically. The successful candidate will join a team of researchers using cutting edge technologies to uncover novel therapeutic targets and explore drug sensitivities in cancer. He/she will work at the bench in a wet lab setting and will have the opportunity to collaborate with both academic and industry partners.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Work independently and collaboratively to develop and drive various research projects.
• Train and mentor PhD students, postdocs, and other laboratory staff.
• Participate in ordering, maintenance of lab equipment and other lab organization as needed.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Demonstrated ability to think critically and troubleshoot experiments.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask and work under minimal supervision.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Enthusiasm for doing science and an ability to pick up new techniques quickly.
• At least 2 years of experience working with mammalian cell lines in culture.
• Knowledge of and experience performing basic molecular biology techniques, including molecular cloning, nucleic acid isolation, PCR, and protein expression analyses.
• Specialists appointed at the Associate rank must possess (or be in the process of obtaining) a Master’s degree (or equivalent) or must have at least five to ten years of research experience.
• Specialists appointed at the Full rank must possess (or be in the process of obtaining) a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) or must have at least ten or more years of research experience.
• Applicant’s materials must list (pending) qualifications upon submission.
• Applicants must have obtained the degree requirement for the Specialist rank by the time of hire.
• Expertise in cancer biology
• Experience performing gene transfer studies using lentiviral infection of human cell cultures
• Experience with CRISPR-editing and pooled CRISPR screening techniques
• Experience with flow cytometry assays
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03350.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)