Open date: March 24th, 2021
Last review date: Thursday, Apr 8, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Saturday, Sep 24, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist Position Available
UCSF Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences
The Fraser lab (https://www.fraserlab.com) in the UCSF Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutic Sciences has a Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist Positions available immediately.
The Fraser lab focuses on structural biology, macromolecular mechanics, and molecular biology to understand proteins as ensembles of structures and how physical, chemical, and genetic perturbations affect them. This information is leveraged to examine a variety of biological questions and to develop therapeutics for disease states such as cancer, asthma, and cystic fibrosis. The lab uses X-ray crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy, and deep mutational scanning experiments as well as a variety of other biochemical methods.
We are seeking a candidate who engage in research projects (50%) and will manage daily wet lab operations (50%). The candidate is expected to have a strong background in standard molecular biology techniques. Title and salary will be commensurate with level of experience. This position is embedded in a highly supportive research team and will offer numerous opportunities to grow scientifically and advance one's management skills and responsibilities.
The successful candidate will be expected to manage the day-to-day operations of the wet lab in addition to experimental work (with the division shifting according to the needs) including, but not limited to:
- Participation in several lab experiments including cloning, protein purification and crystallography.
- General lab organization and ordering, including ordering supplies, interacting with vendors, organizing and maintaining inventories
- Assistance with equipment purchase and maintenance and oversight of major equipment (FPLCs, HPLCs, plate readers, LC-MS, shaker incubators)
- Maintenance of lab supplies of common buffers, agar plates, and competent cells
- Maintenance of communal protein stocks, including common reagents (TEV protease) and specialized proteins
- Contribute basic technical assistance to lab members. Techniques may include training on specific instruments, cloning, purification of recombinant proteins, and monitoring of enzyme activities
- Act as lab safety liaison, mediating interactions with the Environment Health and Safety (EH&S) and facilities staff, managing chemical and biological safety
Requirements: The candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree in the appropriate discipline by their start date to be appointed at the Junior rank. The candidate must possess a Master’s degree
or five to ten years of experience in the relevant specialization to be appointed at the Assistant or Associate rank.
The candidate must possess a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) or at least 10 years of research experience in the relevant specialization to be appointed at the Full Specialist rank. The candidate must have at least one-year experience working in a lab and research environment and proven ability to work well as part of a team and have enthusiasm for the practice of science. Candidate’s must meet required qualifications at the time of appointment. Candidate’s application materials must state required qualifications (or if pending) upon submission.
Please apply online and submit your CV, cover letter and 3 reference contacts through AP Recruit via:
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)