Open date: February 11th, 2021
Most recent review date: Wednesday, Dec 1, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Thursday, Aug 11, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Since its founding in 1881, the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) School of Dentistry has striven to educate the leading practitioners, scholars and faculty members of the next generation. The School is a global leader in dental education and public health, clinical practice and scientific discovery and is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture of its community and a supportive work and learning environment that attracts the best faculty, staff, students and trainees.
The UCSF School of Dentistry is seeking an accomplished leader to serve as Associate Dean for Education. Reporting directly to the Dean of UCSF School of Dentistry, the Associate Dean for Education will set out the academic vision for an excellent student experience and academic curriculum. The Associate Dean will direct the creation, delivery and review of the School’s education and student success strategies and curriculum development to enable innovative and engaging learning and teaching experiences. The incumbent will also oversee the School Clinical Education (including Predoctoral, Residency, International Dentist Pathway education, Externships and Continuing Education programs) and will lead accreditation efforts to ensure academic and student affairs compliance with the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) and Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) requirements and University policy and procedures for all academic programs.
The Associate Dean for Education will serve on the Senior Leadership Team and will collaborate closely with deans, chairs, and other academic and non-academic leaders in the development and delivery of all key School and University strategies.
This is a full-time academic position. The incumbent will have a concurrent faculty appointment in the appropriate series and rank depending on qualifications and/or interests. This is an excellent opportunity for a builder and visionary leader who wants to develop the best and brightest in future generations of dentists by ensuring both the greatest student experience possible and the rigor required to achieve the School’s mission.
• DDS/DMD, EdD, and/or PhD degree or equivalent
• Hold the rank of associate or full professor in their current academic institution and be qualified for an academic appointment at UCSF
• Be familiar with health sciences education
• Broad knowledge of issues in dental education
• Demonstrated experience working with effective teams to identify and resolve problems
• Demonstrated senior-level leadership skills, including strategic partnership, negotiation and change management skills.
• Sensitive, diplomatic, and highly articulate in written and verbal communications with all constituencies.
• Well-developed skills in assessing organizational effectiveness and identifying areas of strength as well as needs for improvement
• Demonstrated effectiveness as a culturally competent professional with broad experience interacting with and supporting the needs of a diverse student population.
• A high level of collegiality in working with other student affairs units as well as campus and community constituencies along with the ability to build collaborative relationships characterized by mutual respect, trust, and commitment to shared goals. Integrity, creativity, energy, and decisiveness along with the capacity to engage and inspire others.
• Experience in dental education at the institutional level, preferably in the development, implementation, evaluation and monitoring of an education program leading to the dental degree.
• Experience with the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) and preparation for CODA Accreditation.
• Ability to handle highly sensitive information with the utmost confidentiality is critical.
• Experience in interprofessional health education
• Experience in student affairs administration
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Nomination and Application Process
Applicants should provide a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, statements of teaching and research, a detailed description of the qualifications and experience relevant to this position, a statement of contributions to diversity, plus the names and email addresses of three references. The packet must be submitted electronically at the following site: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03254.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Please see the following page for more details:
Misc / Additional - A detailed description of the qualifications and experience relevant to this position
- 3-5 required (contact information only)