Open date: June 15th, 2020
Last review date: Tuesday, Jun 30, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Dec 15, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Specialist – Transplant and Stem Cell Immunobiology (TSI) Lab
University of California, San Francisco
The Department of Surgery, Transplant and Stem Cell Immunobiology (TSI) Lab at the University of California, San Francisco invites applications for a qualified Specialist at the Assistant, Associate, or Full rank to work under the direction of Drs. Tobias Deuse and Sonia Schrepfer. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
This position will involve cell culture, immunologic, biochemical, and molecular biologic procedures including the use of live experimental animals. The studies will be concerned primarily with experimental mouse (mus musculus) strains.
General responsibilities include:
• overviewing mouse colonies; dissection of the heart, spleen, and muscle from test mice post mortem;
• preparing protein, RNA and DNA from test mouse tissues;
• genotyping PCR analysis from DNA isolated from mouse tissues;
• quantitating and performing quality control of protein, RNA and DNA isolated from mouse tissues;
• using FACS technology to examine cells and perform cell sorting;
• participating in animal experimentation that involve such as anesthesia, surgery and injections;
• using blood (serum) for diagnostic assays and collection of antigen-antibody precipitates score experimental mice for general health measures, and complex behavior;
• performing ELISA and western blot analysis of protein samples and preparing RNA and DNA libraries for high throughput sequencing.
Other laboratory maintenance duties include: inventory supplies, anticipate supply needs, receive and record deliveries, and re-order when necessary, maintain records of daily activities and experimental results, prepare common-use chemical solutions for experiments and assist with general lab cleaning duties including autoclaving, filling water containers and cleaning dishes.
Specialists appointed at the Assistant or Associate rank must possess a master’s degree in Biological Sciences, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Immunology or a related field or must have at least 5 years of research experience. Specialists appointed at the full rank must possess a terminal degree (e.g. doctorate or equivalent) or must have at least 10 years of research experience. Must exhibit professional approach to work and attention to detail.
Prior laboratory experience and prior experience in mouse maintenance and handling. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills, as well as the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
The term of the appointment is short term, based on the needs of the research project.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03013.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)