Open date: May 5th, 2020
Last review date: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Nov 5, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Brueckner Lab – Junior Specialist
SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY – Cell & Tissue Biology
The Brueckner laboratory at the UCSF Parnassus campus is looking to appoint a Junior Specialist, to address research questions in hematopoiesis, blood cell function, innate immunity and development, using the fruitfly Drosophila melanogaster or other models.
We seek talented, motivated, enthusiastic candidates who have strong communication skills (written and verbal) and want to ultimately perform independent research. Candidates should be detail-oriented and possess excellent organization and analytical skills. We are seeking team players who work synergistically and successfully with other lab members. Candidates who are looking for additional experience in a biomedical research laboratory before pursuing graduate education are particularly encouraged to apply. A minimum 6-month commitment is required, 1 year or more is preferred.
Perform experiments and image/data analyses under the direction of the PI and other lab members. Tasks will include Drosophila husbandry, genetics and dissection, immunohistochemistry, cell assays, molecular biology assays including qPCR.. The candidate is expected to document and analyze research findings with MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and similar applications.
The successful candidate will actively participate in academic meetings and retreats, such as group meetings, Drosophila meetings, and occasional retreats.
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written)
• Strong analytical abilities, problem-solving abilities, and detail oriented
• Willingness and ability to learn new methods and skills for changing research priorities.
• Ability to maintain comprehensive laboratory notebook of experiments done on a daily basis
• Prior experience with Drosophila husbandry, genetics, and approaches for blood cell research.
• Ability to work independently and assess need for assistance from supervisor.
• A minimum 6-month commitment is required.
• Demonstrated experience with record keeping, standard laboratory calculations, and statistical analysis.
• Minimum 6 months of experience working in a biology or biomedical research lab.
• Must have (or be in process of obtaining) a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent degree) or four years of research experience to be appointed at the Junior rank.
• A 1 year commitment or more is preferred.
Applicants must meet requirements by the time of appointment.
Licensure/Certification/Registration: None required.
Physical Requirements: Normal physical requirements include good visual acuity and accurate color discrimination. The position requires excellent manual dexterity and familiarity utilizing delicate instrumentation.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02994. Applicant’s materials must list current and pending qualifications upon submission.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)