Open date: March 11th, 2020
Last review date: Tuesday, Jun 2, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Saturday, Sep 11, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Knox Lab – Junior Specialist
SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY – Cell & Tissue Biology
The Knox lab at the Parnassus campus of UCSF is looking for a Junior Specialist to help in carrying out both wet-lab and dry-lab techniques, including biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, and image analysis. The candidate will work closely with the PI and other members of the laboratory and neighboring laboratories to provide experimental, analytical, and organizational support towards our goal of understanding the signaling mechanisms that control organ development and regeneration after injury. Our studies focus on the mechanisms by which stem cells regenerate tissue after injury (radiation, chemotherapy, mechanical) and how this connects with developmental events. The candidate’s chief responsibilities will be to perform experiments and image analysis under the supervision of the principal investigator and other lab members. The candidate will carry-out a mix of organ culture, animal husbandry, mouse genetics and cell biology, and computational image analysis techniques commonly used in the Knox laboratory and actively participate in the development and execution of new experimental and image analysis methods. The candidate will also be expected to help develop new analysis methods and set up, organize, and maintain the lab as it expands. Additional duties will include participating in general laboratory set-up, organization and maintenance, assistance with ordering and unpacking supplies, training and orienting new members, and actively participating in group meetings to discuss both experimental minutiae and big picture ideas.
Candidates should be detail-oriented, capable of working independently and in small groups, and possess excellent organization, analytical, and communication skills. Candidates must be willing and eager to work closely with other faculty and their lab members. Potential exists for motivated candidates to perform independent research and train new lab members. We are looking for a minimum 2-year commitment. Candidates who are looking for additional experience in a biomedical research laboratory before pursuing graduate education or a career in biotechnology are particularly encouraged to apply.
• Bachelor’s degree (or in process of obtaining) or at least 4 years of research experience.
• Minimum one year of experience working in a biology or biomedical research lab.
• Demonstrated experience with standard laboratory calculations (for example, mathematical calculations to determine cell numbers and dilutions of stock chemical solutions) and with statistical hypothesis testing.
• Hands-on experience with some or all of the following techniques (mouse genetics, cell culture, western blotting, immuno-fluorescence, molecular biology and PCR, microscopy, and statistical hypothesis testing) and familiarity with Fiji, Adobe Illustrator, Nikon Elements, and/or Zeiss software.
• Excellent organizational skills, excellent communication skills.
• Strong analytical abilities, problem-solving abilities, and detail oriented.
• Ability to maintain comprehensive laboratory notebook of experiments done on a daily basis.
• Ability to work independently and assess need for assistance from supervisor.
Licensure/Certification/Registration: None required.
Physical Requirements: Normal physical requirements include good near visual acuity and color acuity. Requires manual dexterity and visual acuity when handling samples, analyzing data, and utilizing instrumentation.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02934
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)