Open date: November 5th, 2019
Next review date: Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Junior Specialist – Ruggero Lab (Animal Models)
The Ruggero lab at the Mission Bay campus at UCSF is seeking a Junior Specialist to study the molecular mechanisms by which alterations in post-transcriptional regulation and translational control contribute to cancer development. This position will require the candidate to work with mice. The candidate will have the opportunity to publish their research in preeminent scientific journals such as Cell, Nature, Cancer Cell, and Molecular Cell. Previous researchers in this position have successfully obtained admission to some of the most prestigious medical and graduate programs in the country.
Job Responsibilities: Under direct supervision with training provided, the candidate will perform research activities in translational machinery utilizing biochemical, molecular and genetic approaches within the context of animal models. The candidate will work with mice and perform small animal surgeries. A willingness and disposition to work with animals and strict adherence to the relevant protocols and procedures is expected. Additional duties will include participation in basic lab support activities and actively participating in group meetings.
• B.A. or B.S. degree (but not M.S. degree) in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, or a related field.
• Must have at least a 3.4 GPA to be eligible.
• At least 1 year of experience in a previous independent laboratory outside of required courses is mandatory with knowledge of basic molecular biology techniques (DNA and RNA isolation, gel electrophoresis, PCR).
• Ability to prepare reports, slides, etc., and other materials to communicate research and interest in participating in manuscript preparation.
• Applicant must be an effective communicator, detail-oriented and organized, able to take the initiative to address research issues, and work independently, and collaborate well with other members of the lab.
• All requirements must be met by the start date.
NOTE: Qualifications in progress must be indicated in the cover letter or in the CV.
• Proficiency in MS Office and Adobe software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
• Willingness to have flexible hours is strongly preferred.
• As this is an ongoing, cutting-edge project, willingness to be flexible and help develop novel assays, techniques and protocols is highly desired.
• A two-year commitment is highly preferred.
Applicants will be considered until the position is filled. Please submit curriculum vitae, cover letter, and provide a minimum of two names and email addresses of references from academic professionals supporting your research capability.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training. Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02751.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)