Open date: November 5th, 2019
Next review date: Saturday, Feb 29, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Junior Specialist (Dr. Davide Ruggero Lab)
The Ruggero lab at the Mission Bay campus at UCSF is looking to appoint a Junior Specialist to conduct research related to understanding the molecular mechanisms by which alterations in post-transcriptional regulation and translational control contribute to cancer development. The position will involve a project breeding, genotyping, and analyzing transgenic mouse lines as well as some general laboratory support. The ongoing projects in the lab are focused on understanding the molecular mechanisms by which impairments in accurate control of mRNA translation, cell growth, and overall cellular protein synthesis rates lead to cancer. The candidate will have the opportunity to publish their research in preeminent scientific journals such as Cell, Nature, Cancer Cell, and Molecular Cell. Previous researchers in this position have successfully obtained admission to some of the most prestigious medical and graduate programs in the country.
Job Responsibilities: Perform experiments and data analysis under direct supervision with training provided. Primary tasks will include performing experiments utilizing western blot analysis, RNA isolation, PCR, tissue culture, mouse genotyping, immunohistochemistry, and mouse dissection. Additional duties will include participation in basic lab support activities, organization, as well as actively participating in group meetings.
• B.A. or B.S. degree (but not M.S. degree) in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, or a related field.
• Must have at least a 3.4 GPA to be eligible.
• Previous independent laboratory experience outside of required courses is mandatory.
• Must be highly motivated, clearly demonstrate a passion for scientific research, and must exhibit a strong commitment to perform scientific research with a desire to pursue a Ph.D. in the biological sciences.
• Must be an effective communicator, detail-oriented and organized, able to take the initiative to address research issues, and work independently, and collaborate well with other members of the lab.
• All requirements must be met by the start date.
NOTE: Qualifications in progress must be indicated in the cover letter or in the CV.
• Proficiency in MS Office and Adobe software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
• Experience in computational analysis, RNA biology and experience with handling mice is highly preferred.
• A two-year commitment is highly preferred.
Applicants will be considered until the position is filled. Please submit curriculum vitae, cover letter, and provide a minimum of two names and email addresses of references from academic professionals supporting your research capability.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training. Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02750.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)