Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Genomics CoLab serves as an innovative hub of molecular biologists, genomistics and bioinformaticians engaging in collaborative research across the UCSF campus. At the Genomics CoLab we emphasize in the development of novel genomic approaches and providing advanced genomic and computational resources for investigators who wish to intigrate modern genomic approaches in biological research. These approaches include bullk-cell RNA-Seq, single-cell RNA-seq, small RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, ATAC-seq and whole genome sequencing.
The Genomics Lab is recruiting for an Associate Specialist. Appointees at the Associate level should have significant record of academic accomplishment including published or in-press publication, and a demonstrated record of University and/or public service. Additionally, appointees at the Associate level will provide considerable independence in planning and execution of research.
This key role will take the lead in carrying out next generation sequencing approaches, primarily bulk-cell and single-cell RNA-sequencing assays. The successful candidate will also work independently utilizing problem solving skills and technical expertise to execute complex experimental methods, as well as work in collaborative teams to develop automated protocols for multiple genomic and next generation sequencing assay types. The Associate Specialist will utilize existing protocols to generate DNA and RNA sequencing libraries, will interact closely with other laboratory members and will be responsible for meticulous handling and processing of research and clinical samples. This position represents an excellent opportunity to further basic laboratory and high-throughput molecular biology skills in a dynamic, well-established functional genomics research environment.
• Master’s degree (or equivalent degree) in Molecular Biology or related science and three or more years of recent, directly related work experience utilizing molecular biology techniques or methods required by the position.
• Ability to provide consultation for new and ongoing research projects in regards to best practices for sample handling, experimental design and the proper sequencing approaches for the given study.
• Experience with automation and high throughput NGS technology, preferably with RNA-Seq.
• Ability to work independently on multiple projects with strong project management skills and high attention to detail.
• Experience with general molecular biology techniques including but not limited to DNA isolation, gel electrophoresis, PCR and RT-PCR.
• Experience with next generation sequencing library preparation methods.
• Excellent organizational and documentation skills.
• Willingness and ability to learn new methods and skills for changing research projects.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary research group.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written).
• Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work tasks with others, and meet multiple deadlines.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training. Interested candidates should send a brief letter explaining qualifications and a CV.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02601
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)