Open date: July 23rd, 2019
Last review date: Saturday, Feb 15, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Saturday, Jan 23, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
UCSF Research Specialist Position - McManus Lab
The UCSF ViraCore and the McManus Lab at the University of California, San Francisco is seeking a Junior/Assistant/Associate level Lab Specialist, depending on qualifications. A major focus of the position will be to assist in the development and the derivation of large-scale genomic resources within the UCSF ViraCore. The candidate will engage in wetbench research in a team setting and independently oversee a University Core facility. Candidate must be willing to work as an integral member of a research team and have strong communication skills. This is a full-time position at UCSF and ideal position for applicants having a sincere fascination with basic science and the interface between industry and academia.
• Perform molecular biology techniques including DNA extraction, PCR, plasmid preparation and basic cloning.
• Tissue culture and flow cytometry.
• Perform basic molecular and cellular biology experiments.
• Maintenance of accurate notebooks and computer records.
• Oversee lentivirus production.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Specialists appointed at the Junior level must have (or in process of obtaining) a BA/BS degree in biological sciences or a related science, or must have at least 4 years of related work experience.
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant/Associate level must have (or in process of obtaining) a Master’s degree in biological sciences or related science or must have at least 5 years of related work experience.
• Knowledge of and experience with basic cell and molecular biology protocols: tissue culture, PCR, DNA sequence analysis and cloning; comfort working with instrumentation and computers; maintenance of accurate notebooks and computer files; team player with good communication and interpersonal skills; willingness to learn, seek out advice and admit errors; highly motivated to succeed.
• Strong organization skills and the ability to multitask and work under minimal supervision is key for this position.
Applicant’s materials must list (pending) qualifications upon submission. Applicants must have obtained the degree requirement for the Specialist level by the time of hire.
• Lentiviral and/or retroviral generation and transduction experience.
• Experience carrying out flow cytometry assays.
• Analytical skills and comfort with basic statistics a plus.
• Knowledge of and experience with basic molecular biology protocols.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02597.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)