Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
PTC Technician, Specialist Track
A position is available in the Academic Specialist Track for a scientist to join a team undertaking cutting-edge preclinical studies in cancer research within the NCI-sponsored Preclinical Therapeutics Core (PTC) facility at the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF). The PTC is a part of the Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, located on the UCSF Mission Bay campus.
The PTC serves as a service shared resource facility for UCSF investigators, and provides expertise in rodent-based in vivo models and small animal imaging for research purposes. The PTC team works closely with academic and industry clients to help design and execute research studies to evaluate novel anti-cancer therapeutics, typically using mouse-based tumor models.
Specific tasks will include:
• Performance of basic laboratory methods required for formulation of drugs and vehicle for in vivo delivery
• Sterile propagation of cells in culture
• Execution of a variety of preclinical experimental techniques (e.g. Administration of substances through various routes (intra-venous, intra-peritoneal, oral gavage), tumor implantation, body weight and tumor size measurement, tumor and tissue collection, surgical methods, data analysis)
• Collection of biosamples (e.g, blood, tissue) for pharmacological studies such as PK and PD analysis
• Creation and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) for good animal practices in accordance with IACUC guidelines
• Use of StudyLog data management system for recording study design notes, dose tracking, clinical observations and collected study data
This new hire will report to the PTC Manager, and will assist the PTC lab in preclinical study execution. The new hire will be appointed at the Junior or Assistant Specialist level, dependent on experience and skill set.
• Specialists appointed at the Junior rank must possess (or in process of obtaining) a Bachelor’s degree or must have at least four years of research experience; Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must possess (or in process of obtaining) a Master’s degree or must have at least five years of research experience. Applicant’s materials must list (pending) qualifications upon submission. Applicants must have obtained the degree requirement for the Specialist rank by the time of hire.
• The ideal candidate will have a strong scientific background, with some research experience.
• He/she will be self-motivated, adaptable to change and have excellent communication skills.
• He/she will have the ability to work at high standard with a care to detail.
• He/she must be able to work well within a team, and be willing to work flexible hours including occasional weekends/holidays.
• The candidate must have good computer skills and familiarity with MS Office applications.
Applicant must have all requirements met by time of hire.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02589.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)