Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Bondy-Denomy Lab – Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE - Microbiology & Immunology
The Bondy-Denomy lab is seeking a Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist to join our group and contribute to new and ongoing projects. Our lab focuses on CRISPR-Cas immune systems and their natural functions in bacteria. We are also interested in developing new tools stemming from both Type I and II CRISPR-Cas systems, both for inhibitor proteins and new applications for these systems in microbes (see Bondy-Denomy et al., Nature 2015, Rauch et al., Cell 2017, Marino et al. Science 2018, Jiang et al. Mol Cell 2018). The candidate will be expected to contribute to this tool development and CRISPR biology work in the lab, by conducting microbiology and molecular biology techniques, including bacterial and bacteriophage manipulation, cloning, protein purification, and biochemical assays. An exceptional candidate will lead their own independent project, develop new ideas, be familiar with the literature, and participate in procurement of funds, where appropriate. Additionally, the specialist will be expected to assist with managing day-to-day lab operations, and perform general lab duties and be a positive lab citizen.
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills (verbal and written)
• Willingness and ability to learn new methods and skills for changing research priorities.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a research team.
• Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work tasks with others, and meet multiple deadlines.
• Specialist appointed at the Junior rank must possess a bachelor’s degree or at least 4 years of research experience.
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant or Associate ranks must possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or at least 5 years of research experience.
• Specialists appointed at the Full rank must possess a terminal degree or ten or more years of experience.
• Candidates must meet requirements by the time of appointment.
• Prior experience with handling pathogenic microbes, aseptic techniques
• Prior experience in the design and assembly of DNA constructs
• Prior experience in bacterial genome manipulation (i.e. gene knockouts, locus removal, introduction of chromosomal tags and point mutations) and high throughput sequencing
We are seeking at least a 1-year commitment. Depending on performance and workload, opportunities for independent research, mentorship of other trainees, and scientific writing will be available.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02548.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)