Open date: June 14th, 2019
Last review date: Saturday, Jun 29, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Monday, Dec 14, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The mission of the Center of Cellular Construction at UCSF is to turn cell biology into an engineering discipline by learning how to engineer the physical structure and interactions of living cells, to change them into living bioreactors and modules of novel self-organizing devices. Much of our work depends on microscopic analyses of variety of biological systems. Your role is to be an interface between biologists in the academic setting (UCSF, Berkeley, Stanford and SFState) and engineers and programmers at IBM and other industrial partners. Your main responsibility is to help Center members apply image processing tools to their analyses, particularly the deep learning tools being developed at IBM. You will also work with the Center's Director of Data Management to develop ways to store and share Center imaging data. Another responsibility of the applicant will be to organize center-wide gatherings to discuss current image processing challenges to promote problem solving and identification of areas in which the Center resources might be directed. Your job will also involve assuring achievement of goals and compliance with Federal, State, and Institutional regulations in the ethical conduct of research and human subjects’ protection. You will also assist in grant and manuscript writing and meet regularly with Dr. Fung and other senior personnel regularly to assure that studies are on track, in accordance to University and regulatory quality, safety and research compliance metrics.
• Junior rank- At a minimum, a bachelor’s degree (or in process of obtaining) in a physical, computational, computer or biological science is required or at least image processing experience and 4 years previous research experience in the relevant specialization.
• Assistant or Associate ranks- a master’s degree (or equivalent degree or in process of obtaining) in a physical, computational, computer or biological science or at least 5 years of research experience in the relevant specialization
• Full rank- a terminal degree (or equivalent degree or in process of obtaining) in a physical, computational, computer or biological science or at least 10 years research experience in the relevant specialization.
• Previous experience programming in Python
• Good communication skills is required in order to interact with many labs with different specialties.
• Previous experience working in biological problems and/or image analysis is preferable
• Previous experience in deep learning/machine learning is preferable.
• Candidates must meet the requirements by the time of appointment.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. Please contact Dr. Jennifer Fung at Jennifer.email@example.com if you have any questions.
Please apply online at: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02545, with a CV and two references (contact information only).
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)