Open date: May 6th, 2019
Last review date: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Friday, Nov 6, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Clinical Data Scientist/Programmer – Department of Pathology
The Department of Pathology is hiring a Clinical Data Scientist/Programmer for the ImmunoX Program to extract clinical data from the Electronic Health Record and support research by building reproducible data models from a variety of sources to measure clinical outcomes. The Clinical Data Scientist/Programmer develops and maintains key relationships with clinicians, researchers, analytics peers, and others to ensure that the data are validated and accurate.
The Clinical Data Scientist/Programmer is responsible for the following:
• Querying the Health Records Database, validating the results, curating the data, and presenting the results to the stakeholders
• Writing programming scripts for reproducibility, uploading data to a HIPAA compliant repository, and creating data visualizations.
• Developing and maintaining key relationships with clinicians, researchers, analytics peers, and other stakeholders (e.g. Biospecimen Resources Program, Clinical & Translational Science Institute, and the UCSF CoLabs)
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant or Associate rank must possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or must have at least five or more years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Specialists appointed at the Full rank must possess a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) or must have at least ten or more years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Three years of experience in a health care setting, working with patients and clinical data.
• Broad and/or in-depth knowledge of 1-2 areas of focus in clinical informatics specialty areas.
• Knowledge of controlled terminology, clinical workflows, user interface optimization, clinical decision support, rules development, data integration and mining, clinical ontologies and adoption of technology.
• Detail oriented, with proven ability to effectively manage time, see projects through to completion, organize competing priorities, and effectively address complex urgent issues as they arise.
• Must be comfortable in a changing environment and able to manage competing priorities and new workflows.
• Demonstrates high judgement, problem solving skills, and has strong interpersonal skills and written and verbal communication skills.
• Able to work independently and in collaboration with stakeholders to identify and implement strategies to improve the quality of clinical data produced for ImmunoX.
• Experience with database querying languages (ex: SQL), programming languages for reproducible data analysis (ex: Python, R), Electronic Medical Records (ex: Epic Systems), Research database systems (ex: REDCap), project management frameworks (ex: Lean, A3
Thinking, Agile, Six Sigma) Service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
• Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service.
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training. https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02505.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)