Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Assistant Professor (Adjunct)
UCSF Data Science CoLab and UCSF Department of Medicine
UCSF CoLab and the Department of Medicine are recruiting a Scientific Director for the Data Science CoLab to build innovative data and data science solutions. CoLabs are a collection of integrated laboratories specializing in infrastructure and technologies that will revitalize the model for shared resources by capitalizing on critical personnel and cutting-edge technologies, to drive cross-discipline collaboration. CoLabs will be housed in a contiguous space and create a set of common pipelines and workflows in one centralized locale. World-class staff will be recruited and retained to lead development in transformative methods and technologies. The Data Science CoLab will develop bioinformatic frameworks for curating, storing, analyzing, and sharing access to data produced through the CoLabs pipeline. It will also house bioinformaticians and computational biologists to drive shared projects forward.
The Scientific Director will lead a team of bioinformaticians and computational biologists, from overseeing day-to-day operations to finding creative solutions to big picture problems. The Scientific Director will report to the overall CoLabs Director and work closely with a faculty steering committee. Overall, the Scientific Director will supervise and build innovative data and data science solutions.
• Lead development of an overall data science strategy for the UCSF CoLabs in an environment that is rich in complex biological data.
• Lead and manage a large team of data scientists with expertise in statistics, bioinformatics, image analysis, data-driven predictive analytics, and computer science.
• Supervise, instruct, and mentor the team of data scientists; lead one-on-one meetings and team meetings; ensure proper allocation of time, resources, manpower, and responsibilities to data analysis, software development, and office hours.
• Oversee the development of a UCSF Data Library with “Data Librarians” who curate, store, analyze, and share access to data produced through the CoLabs pipeline.
• Recruit, develop, and manage capabilities in statistical modeling, and other computational approaches to extract insights from large data sources.
• Establish and manage collaborations engaging with principal investigators for the development of novel data analytic approaches.
• Coordinate the collaboration of the data science team with other CoLabs to develop solutions for challenging high-dimensional questions and cross-functional teams.
• Design, lead, and help teach educational courses and mini-courses on campus with an emphasis in computational approaches and analytics. Participate in other educational activities, especially those involving community outreach and education.
• Represent CoLabs data science capabilities within UCSF and the greater scientific community.
• Drive specific projects towards publications as part of shared projects including playing a significant authorship or co-authorship role.
• PhD in Computational Biology or biological field with substantial computational and statistical modeling component
• Minimum 3 years of experience in data analytics in flow cytometry, next-generation sequencing, or imaging
• Minimum 1 year of experience in project management or postdoctoral experience with team management
• Experience with large, disparate, and multi-dimensional datasets; and with integration of multiple datasets
• Mastery in at least one, but preferred multiple, programming languages such as Python, Java, Perl, R, or similar language
• Knowledge of distributed computing tools
• Ability to work across different functional teams and to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical audiences at all levels
• Ability to work in a biological context required
To apply, please visit: https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02500. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary and rank will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience and training.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)