Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Turnbaugh Lab Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist
SCHOOL OF MEDICINE – Hooper Foundation
Job Description: The Turnbaugh lab at the Parnassus campus of UCSF is looking to appoint a Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist to conduct research related to the human microbiome. The research primarily involves microbiological methods like anaerobic culturing, bacterial genetics, cell counting, and imaging, as well as molecular biology techniques involved in metagenomic sequencing. We are most interested in talented, motivated, enthusiastic candidates who have strong communication (written and verbal) skills and want to ultimately perform independent research. Candidates should be detail-oriented and possess excellent organization and analytical skills. A minimum 2-year commitment is strongly preferred.
Job Responsibilities: Perform experiments and data analysis under the direction of Dr. Turnbaugh. Tasks will include isolating bacterial strains, incubating natural and synthetic microbial communities with small molecules of interest, analyzing the microbiome by a variety of techniques including DNA and RNA sequencing and performing lab managerial duties at 25% time. Additional duties will include orienting new members and actively participating in group meetings.
• Specialists appointed at the junior rank must possess a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) or at least four years of research experience.
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant or Associate rank must possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or five to ten years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Specialist appointed at the Full rank must possess a terminal degree (or equivalent degree) or have ten or more years of experience in the relevant specialization.
• Candidates must meet the requirements by the time of appointment.
Experience: Experience working in a molecular biology lab. Demonstrated experience with microbiological techniques.
Additional Qualifications for the position are:
• excellent organizational and communication skills
• strong analytical abilities, problem-solving abilities, and detail oriented
• ability to maintain comprehensive laboratory notebook of experiments done on a daily basis
• ability to work independently and assess need for assistance from supervisor
Licensure/Certification/Registration: None required.
Physical Requirements: Normal physical requirements include good visual acuity and accurate color discrimination. The position requires excellent manual dexterity and familiarity utilizing delicate instrumentation.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please submit CV and the contact information for two references.
Please apply online via AP Recruit at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF02439
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 2 required (contact information only)