Open date: February 19th, 2019
Last review date: Thursday, Mar 7, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Wednesday, Aug 19, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
UCSF, Mission Bay Campus
The Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases (IND) at UCSF, Mission Bay Campus is seeking a Specialist for full-time work to perform and manage research activities in cryo-electron microscopy (Cryo-EM). The position is in the laboratory of Dr. Daniel Southworth and will support research efforts using cryo-electron microscopy to determine 3D structures of important biological macromolecules associated with human neurodegenerative diseases. Highly motivated candidates capable of independent problem solving and teamwork are encouraged to apply. This position will be part of a collaborative environment with access to state-of-the-art facilities in the Sandler Neurosciences Building on the UCSF Mission Bay campus. A successful candidate will be hired as a Specialist with rank commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Manage the IND Cryo-EM Structural Biology Facility that includes state-of-the-art transmission electron microscopes: 300 keV Titan Krios and 200 keV Glacios.
- Perform maintenance including liquid nitrogen supplies to the microscope, full microscope alignment procedures, routine resolution tests, and upkeep of automated data collection, storage and backup software routines.
- Coordinate with technicians for service and repair of the microscopes and auxiliary equipment.
- Train users in transmission EM techniques including negative-stain and cryo sample preparation, automated data collection, 2D/3D structural analysis procedures including single particle and tomography EM methods, and use of cryo-EM software packages.
- Work with IND and UCSF investigators, students and postdocs in coordinating cryo-EM data collection and 3D structural analysis of protein macromolecules.
- Ph.D. and 1+ years Postdoctoral work in Biochemistry and Biophysics, including cryo-electron microscopy.
- 3-4 years of experience the operation of high-resolution transmission electron microscopes, including microscope alignment and data collection procedures and 3D reconstruction methods.
- Candidates must meet the required qualifications by the time of appointment.
- Experience in biochemistry and molecular biology lab work including PCR, molecular cloning, bacterial and insect cell culture methods, and protein expression and purification methods.
- Experience in 3D structure determination by cryo-electron microscopy using single particle and helical reconstruction procedures.
- Experience in computer programming languages including the ability to write and debug programs in Python.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF02369, with a CV, cover letter, and three references (contact information only).
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3 required (contact information only)