Open date: October 5th, 2018
Last review date: Thursday, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: Sunday, Apr 5, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Pamela Ling, Professor of Medicine and Associate Director of the UC San Francisco Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education is seeking an experienced qualitative researcher for research on the use of non-cigarette tobacco products (including electronic cigarettes and smokeless tobacco).
Data collection will involve researching previously secret tobacco industry documents, other online data sources, advertising content analysis, conducting interviews. The incumbent will be expected to organize, code and analyze qualitative data, and lead writing on scientific papers in collaboration with other scientists.
The successful candidate will either be appointed in the Specialist Series or as a Postdoctoral Fellow, depending on whether or not he or she holds a doctoral degree.
Required qualifications include:
• Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or five years of experience in the relevant specialization. Individuals with doctoral degrees may also apply and will be considered for appointment as a Postdoctoral Fellow.
• Strong analytical, organizational, and writing skills are important. This position is for two to three years and suitable for an individual with a life sciences, public health, or similar background who is looking to gain research experience on the way to further career development, such as going on to graduate, medical, or law school.
• Attention to detail; strong interpersonal skills; excellent, effective verbal and written communication skills to coordinate with subjects, team members, other departments and outside institutions; and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment while working with a diverse subject population.
• Ability to work well independently, complete projects in a timely manner, and prioritize multiple projects to ensure the completion of essential tasks by deadlines.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Fluency in the usage of Committee of Human Research (CHR) online iMEDris system for submission, renewal, and modification of protocols through this system.
• Understanding of patient population to create rapport and a relationship, while also giving insight to what is realistic and appropriate for patient participation.
• Master’s degree in Public Health or related field, or equivalent experience.
• Experience with qualitative data collection and analysis, including qualitative analytical software (e.g., Dedoose).
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and Outlook software.
All application packets must include a letter describing your interests and experience, your CV/resume and 2 writing samples of your work.
HOW TO APPLY:
• If you are interested in the SPECIALIST position, please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF02166.
• If you are interested in a POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW position, please send your application packet to Kathleen.Franklin@ucsf.edu.
Appointees in the Specialist series will be expected to engage in specialized research, professional activities and do not have teaching responsibilities. Specialists are expected to use their professional expertise to make scientific and scholarly contributions, and may participate in University and Public Service. Screening of applicants will begin immediately and will continue as needed throughout the recruitment period. Salary will be commensurate with the applicants experience and training.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter - a letter describing your interests and experience
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional - 2 writing samples of your work
- 3 required (contact information only)