Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Molecular Biology and Protein Chemist
Junior or Assistant Specialist Series
Verba Lab, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
University of California, San Francisco
The Verba Laboratory in the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry has an open position for a molecular biologist/protein biochemist. The lab is interested in understanding the molecular details of kinase mediated cell signaling and changes in such signaling upon oncogenesis. To this end we utilize a number of advanced techniques with focus in cryo-electron microscopy and mass spectrometry. The successful candidate will work on designing constructs, cloning, expressing and purifying kinase signaling complexes, primarily from suspension mammalian cells. Beyond these tasks the candidate will have an opportunity to work closely with Dr. Verba on structurally characterizing thus purified protein complexes. Accordingly, the candidate will have good basic understanding of protein biochemistry and experience in recombinant protein expression and molecular biology. Independence, enthusiasm and aptitude for learning are highly valued.
- Specialists appointed at the Junior rank must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in sciences, eg. physics, biochemistry, chemistry, biology.
- Specialists appointed at the Assistant rank must have a minimum of a master’s degree (or equivalent) in life sciences field or at least five years of research experience
- Experience in molecular biology and/or protein chemistry
- Strong written and communication skills
- Experience in working with mammalian cell culture
- Basic knowledge of a computer programming language
- Experience with protein purification on small and preparative scale
- Experience with enzyme biochemistry and quantitative analysis of activity
Salary will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience and training.
UCSF seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment of diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online, submit a brief cover letter and a curriculum vitae to https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF02114
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)