Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
MEDICAL DEVICE ENGINEER – JUNIOR/ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE SPECIALIST
This position will serve as a general-purpose design and development engineer for medical device research and development projects within the Department of Surgery’s Surgical Innovations program. The engineer will have responsibilities on multiple device development projects as assigned by the program’s directors and will be expected to attend all meetings of the department’s Innovations Group. Specific tasks will include generating design concepts and engineering drawings; building device prototypes for testing and evaluation; conducting bench-top, animal, and clinical testing of devices; market research; project coordination for assigned projects; and assistance with clinical and research protocol development, grant submissions, and progress reporting. Must be able to multitask and work in a collaborative team environment. Familiarity with machining skills (e.g., CNC mill using CAM, lathe, etc.) is desirable. Specialists appointed at the junior rank must possess a baccalaureate degree (or equivalent degree) in an engineering field or at least four years of research experience (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment, social science research methods, or creative activities). Specialists appointed at the Assistant or Associate rank must at minimum possess a master’s degree (or equivalent degree) in an engineering field or at least five years of experience in the relevant specialization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work at the laboratory bench to develop and evaluate new products/solutions or to adapt and improve existing ones.
• Design product prototypes with test models. Simulate real world conditions and measure outputs using sensors etc.
• Define procedures to evaluate product performance and conduct bench top testing. The testing may cover efficacy, reliability, verification, and validation.
• Statistical data analysis and interpretation.
• Collaborate with other product engineers, managers and cross-functional team in creating product and test plans.
• Interact with customers and professionals to get feedback about the product.
• Observe current clinical practices and assess user needs to guide product design.
• Work in a fast paced environment and meet critical deadlines.
• Collaborate with team to write grants for financing.
• Collaborate to develop business presentations and present at meetings.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service that has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF02088.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- 2 required (contact information only)