Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Assistant Specialist- Rankin Lab
University of California, San Francisco
The Memory and Aging Center (http://www.memory.ucsf.edu) is a clinical research unit within the UCSF Department of Neurology that investigates the clinical (neurological, cognitive, behavioral, neuroanatomic) characteristics of various neurodegenerative diseases. Primary Investigator’s (PI) research within the MAC focuses on altered personality and socioemotional behavior in both neurodegenerative disease patients and healthy aging adults, with a particular interest in the neuroanatomic substrates of social and emotional cognition (empathy, self-awareness, reading social cues, moral reasoning, etc). The incumbent carries out clinical research studies that are outlined by the PI. Duties include performance of statistical analyses, interpreting data sets based on expertise in neuropsychology and neuroscience, writing scholarly articles, and preparing materials for submission to the Institutional Review Board and progress reports to granting agencies. The incumbent will also perform and coordinate face-to-face testing of cognition, personality and socioemotional functioning in dementia patients and healthy older adults from the subject pool provided by larger MAC studies, and supervises data collection processes. Additional tasks may include reformation of data acquisition under general PI’s supervision. The incumbent will also be trained to assist with other research-related tasks such as creation and maintenance of study datasets, performing advanced statistical analyses, writing grants and publications, and presenting data
• Master’s degree (or equivalent degree) or 5+ years of research experience in neuroscience, neuropsychology or neurology related topics and sufficient experience and skills to successfully perform the assigned duties and responsibilities.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, team-based environment; project management and coordination skills; ability to prioritize tasks and meet multiple deadlines on concurrent projects.
• Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with patients, co-workers, & physicians.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with patients and with a diverse team; excellent verbal and written communications and presentation skills; excellent organizational skills.
• Experience in a clinical research environment
• Experience performing cognitive testing with research patients, and supervising data-collection
• Some experience programming in the SAS statistical program
• Familiarity with database software such as MS Access
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/apply/JPF01800.
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity (Optional)
Misc / Additional (Optional)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents